IARU HF World Championships July 12-13

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlGlNT

This was my first year getting involved with ARRL Field Day so I learned a lot about the real reason for it and although contesting wasn't the main topic I have to admit is was exciting working stations is so many locations all over the world. For those who enjoy HF monitoring there is a contest coming up. The International Amateur Radio Union HF World Championships is July 12-13. Being a newbie I don't know much about it. Does anyone have any ideas on what to expect?

gcgrotz

The big DX contests are the best way to add to your country total when you don't have a "big gun" station. There are more stations on which generally gives you more opportunity for a contact. That is, if we can get a couple of sunspots going, propagation has been lousy lately!

gcgrotz

Yeah, I got on 40 SSB for about 90 minutes in the evening. Using 100w and a vertical antenna I worked from Europe to Brazil to Vancouver, BC. West coast stations were booming in. If I could have stayed awake all night I suspect S. Pacific and Australia/NZ would have been possible. Hot time on 40.

20 however, was dead. I listened on 15 for a while and heard exactly one signal. Where are the sunspots??!!

It's a fun contest because you can work everybody, not just DX.

Status
Not open for further replies.