ic-208h Scanning question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrench1

Hello I am looking a buying a ic-208h dual band. I am wondering if when I set up the scanning list will it let me creat a scan list of both VHF and UHF channels kinda like a scanner.

Any help would be a great help
Thanks
Ryan

cquirk

Not sure where you live but the answer is yes you can use it like a scanner as suggested. If you are in an area that has a lot of amateur traffic you will most likely not do this as you will prefer the ham bands. then you go out get a scanner and develop the ability to listen to multiple conversations.

Wrench1

Thats what I was thinking but the guy trying to sell me the Icom told me that If I have UHF and VHF channels stored in the radio I would only be able to scan one bank at a time not make a list of both bands and I was really looking to be able have it scan a couple of VHF channels and VHF channels that I use

Wrench1

I am also wondering if what radio has better reviews the icom ic-208h or the yaesu ft-7900R
any thoughts would be great
Thanks
Ryan

N2JDS

You can program in any freq. you want, basically just like a scanner. Just remember, the hams get to talking forever and a day, and it will stop on them if scanning. I have my 208h programed with 146.XXX next to 450.XXX next to 866.XXX . I use CS-208 software by Icom . But I leave the ham channels turned off for scan, so it skips them, then I just dial in the knob to that channel if I want to use it.

Last edited:

Wrench1

Thanks for the great info
what i am planning to use a dual band for my companys radio on UHF but i still wat to listen to the local PD and FD and they are on VHF and i thought by buying a dual band I would only have to install one radio rather than a radio and a scanner.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
what i am planning to use a dual band for my companys radio on UHF but i still wat to listen to the local PD and FD and they are on VHF and i thought by buying a dual band I would only have to install one radio rather than a radio and a scanner.

Using an IC-208h to transmit on your "company's" frequency is illegal and you will get better performance both ways by using a commercial radio and a scanner.

rescuecomm

The FCC approves certain radios for certain frequency ranges. You are not supposed to use an Icom 208 because it is not approved for public safety and business/industrial frequencies. The FCC confiscated some brands of CB radios from truck stops for the same reason. Not approved for the CB band.

Bob

cquirk

So putting the legal questions aside, you may want to consider the ft 7800 8800 OR 8900 running the 2 receivers side by side makes things easy and both sides will allow programming of anything you want pretty much but trunked radios and telephones.

N8IAA

This is wrong in so many ways. There are plenty of commercial radios for sale in the RR sale forum. Get a scanner for listening to the PD and FD and a commercial for your company frequency. It will be legal and less troublesome for you.

Larry

Wrench1

Yes the guy at the radio shop did tell me he could set it upp to work my companys channels. I am apposed to having to put more than one radio in the truck if this will do both.

cquirk

dual recieve

Hi Well to get this out of the way if you are in the USA it is not legal, the radio guy would have to modify your radio out of the box, minor mods but do you really want to have your warranty voided etc?

I am not sure he knows that and if does not know that I would be very careful moving forward with him. If it is a radio guy with a business band radio business he is out of his mind putting the whole business at risk to do this. If he is doing it for others ( like a pubic servie agency) at some point he will have a problem and everyone who he has worked with will also have a problem. If he is a ham radio guy that is doing this part time at some point he may be caught and he should know better. If you live in a rual area chances are you and the radio guy will most likely not be caught but for the money saved you have to ask is it worth it?

I have a very unpleasant thoughts for hams that do this they know better and passed a test to prove they know better

SO a quick very cost effective alternative:

Purchase a legal radio with a priority scan or other type of scan functions, I am aware of radios like the VERTEX 3000/2200 etc that are very cost effective and allows you to do a priority scan for the business channel and when that is not active it will allow police and fire to come though. Also allow you to use a seperate scan for police and fire only or just the business channel so when you are off duty and want to get a way from the business you can.

Do not know if you need UHF and VHF or how many channels each group needs, I noted that you need both bands but there are some legal radios that allow dual band recieve etc. I have a VERTEX 1000 coupled with a VERTEX 3000 that does exactly what you are describing, legal on ham, public saftey, GMRS, business etc.

Main draw back, unlike the ham radios these radios need to be programmed the cables and software are not in-expensive however if you do not need to change frequencies then not an issue, the radios with a seperate control head are very small and easy to integrate into your vehicle.

One other things, LE gets very nervous and will look further if they see the radio in your car with a microphone attached to a radio with police traffic coming from its speaker. In other cases I am aware of this is how the people get caught. I am not a lawyer however one might think that LE has probable cause to look further if they see a radio like this. And if your work with LE they will resent this when they see it.

I am real careful to never leave PD or fire channels on my ham radio when out of the car, also it is very obvious that you cannot transmit on these channels and have showed LE on one occasion when they asked

PM for more information, there are some excellent prices on this type of equipment in the used and new market. I have this set up in my car for the same reason as yours, I would be happy to help you with the programming at no charge if you end up buying a radio that I have the cables and software for.

Last edited:

N1BHH

The best that anybody can do is download and read the operating manuals of the various radios in advance of any purchase. I do this and become aware of any pros and cons in my list of features I like or dislike and then make the final decision. That is how I made my purchases of the FT-60R and FT-8800R. Read the manuals of many other similar models and went with these.

N8IAA

The best that anybody can do is download and read the operating manuals of the various radios in advance of any purchase. I do this and become aware of any pros and cons in my list of features I like or dislike and then make the final decision. That is how I made my purchases of the FT-60R and FT-8800R. Read the manuals of many other similar models and went with these.
Clyde, you do know that he wants to use the 208 to transmit in the business bands? He is not looking for it as a ham radio. He also hasn't stated whether or not he is a ham, or, where he lives. If he is a ham, he's looking to possibly losing his license if caught transmitting on it.
Larry

Last edited:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I know you're looking to do this cheap, but the fact remains that the IC-208h, while a great radio to use, is illegal to use in the business or public safety bands. If you want a legal radio that will transmit and receive (and scan) VHF and UHF, spend the extra money and get a Vertex VX-4000 with dual decks. It will probably come in around $800-$1000.

Wrench1

Thanks to all for the input and ideas. The radio shop is going to be setting me up with a custom motorola setup.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for the input and ideas. The radio shop is going to be setting me up with a custom motorola setup.

Just keep in mind that most Motorola radios are limited to 16 scan channels, regardless of how many channels are programmed into the radio(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.