Icom: IC-208H stuck on low power

Yipyip46

Hi I have an Icom IC-208H that is only TXing at 5.7 watts. It appears to start on high power but then clamps back to low power. I broke my cardinal rule and did not read the radio before resetting it and created the file without reading the radio. Does anyone have a basic .icf file from a working unit? I noticed a previous question similar to this but there was no answer to the problem. Also Icom Australia's comment was the same "We have not had much to do with the IC-208H so we cannot give you any advice". Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards Ian

K4EET

Hi Ian (@Yipyip46),

Welcome to Radio Reference! This is a great website with tons of information.

I have an Icom IC-208H but I did not know you could "read" the radio's contents. I thought this older radio could only be programmed from the front panel using the "Set Lock" button. If you can tell me how to get an *.icf file out of it, I'd be glad to help you out. I have not changed the programming on this since I got it back in 2005. I'll take a look at the manual and see if there is something in there that I didn't know about back then. Maybe I'll learn something that I did not know...

73 my friend, Dave K4EET

Yipyip46

Hi Ian (@Yipyip46),

Welcome to Radio Reference! This is a great website with tons of information.

I have an Icom IC-208H but I did not know you could "read" the radio's contents. I thought this older radio could only be programmed from the front panel using the "Set Lock" button. If you can tell me how to get an *.icf file out of it, I'd be glad to help you out. I have not changed the programming on this since I got it back in 2005. I'll take a look at the manual and see if there is something in there that I didn't know about back then. Maybe I'll learn something that I did not know...

73 my friend, Dave K4EET
Hi Dave, Thank you for your reply. You can download the radio program using the program CS-208 and a lead OPC-478U. This lead plugs into the extension speaker socket (Stereo socket). When you download the data from the radio, when you save it, it is saved as an .icf file. I suspect this file contains parameters that controls certain settings like power levels for the channel data. I know from previous experience from that radios like GME require a read from a radio before creating the data file. I look forward your answer.
Regards
Ian
VK4YIP.