IC-208H - tx'ing and memory channel troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesky

Hi Guys,

First off, thank-you for having me!

Guys, recently my IC-208H has started to play up and it has me stumped.

For any stored memory channels, uploaded by the programming software (CS-208) via USB, the radio doesn't allow me to transmit. When I press the PTT, I get a "beep" from the speaker combined with the illumination of the right sided red LED on the microphone. Additionally, there is no TX output

The interesting thing here is, if I program the exact same freq (+offset, tone etc) into VFO/Lock, I can TX & RX without any problems, what so ever.

In addition to the above problem, freq's stored in the memory are unreadable, and almost modulated (in sound). Again, if I was to manually place the same freq's into VFO/Lock, this problem is eliminated.

All signs point to a problem when writing to the radio from CS-208, but the copy of CS-208 remains unchanged and the same, dating back to a period when I had NO trouble with uploaded data from CS-208. All of my computer programming hardware (USB cable, USB port, Laptop etc) have remained the same and has been successful in the past.

Any ideas? To me, It seems as though there is a Mic Lock of some sort being uploaded, but have confirmed that the Mic Lock has been switched off.

Regards,

Steve.

W2NJS

I would start by blanking the radio's program and then writing a new, simple, codeplug to the radio. In many years of operating three 208s I've never had any trouble with any of them, except when I try to transmit out of band on a unit that has not had the diode cut.

If reloading the codeplug fails then I'd ship it off to Icom for a fix.

wesky

Thank-you for getting back to me!

The interesting thing is, when I program the memory channels manually (ie. via the Mic or Head unit), the problem is eliminated. It's almost as if the codeplug is chucking in more information.

I'll try a reinstall of the software and maybe a different laptop and see how that goes.

Thanks again!

Steve

MeddleMan

I have one too...

...so, did it work? I only manually program from the mic, and in band tx and out of band rx have no issues. I only bought it new recently. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.