• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ic-3161t/4161t

Status
Not open for further replies.

ts548

Hey Guys,
I'm looking into picking up a VHF/UHF radio and I have ran across the above. I'm primary use to using Moto/Kenwood radio's, but decided to expand my choice this time. I've found a pretty decent deal (I believe on GMRS Outlet) on the above radio and want to see everyone's thoughts? This radio will be put to use just as the Moto/Kenwood's I've used will be, meaning it could be out in 100degree weather and then 0 degree weather, snow, rain, sleet, etc.

My other option which was placed on my tonight as I've never heard of them are Infinity K-911 radio's. I've been trying to find some reviews, etc on them but turning up short. At the listed price $255 I don't know if they work that well as I could get both the UHF/VHF for about the same price as one of the ICOM's.

Thanks for your help.

ts548

Anyone with this radio? Looking to purchase over the next couple weeks so I would like to hear some real reviews.

RADIOGUY2002

You'll like it

It's the same as an Kenwood, you can have the debate forever going back and fourth. I have two of them, one for uhf and the other for vhf. I compare it to a ht1250/1550 somewhere in between the two for functions wise. A close comparison on the kenwood side would be the tk-2180/3180. Battery life is superior from yesterdays model. Easyto understand software wise as well. I have put my threw alot of riggers here of cold weather in the chi area and its still kicking. The hot weather seem to work just find, their rated of mil standards. What else would you like to know about them?

ts548

It's the same as an Kenwood, you can have the debate forever going back and fourth. I have two of them, one for uhf and the other for vhf. I compare it to a ht1250/1550 somewhere in between the two for functions wise. A close comparison on the kenwood side would be the tk-2180/3180. Battery life is superior from yesterdays model. Easyto understand software wise as well. I have put my threw alot of riggers here of cold weather in the chi area and its still kicking. The hot weather seem to work just find, their rated of mil standards. What else would you like to know about them?

Thanks, thats what I needed to hear. I just wanted to hear first hand from somone who has the radio. Much like you I plan to purchase both a UHF and VHF.

lucas2121

Premium Subscriber
Used both

I have an Icom F33gt and love it (same radio the U.S. military uses they use the F43gs). I know it's not the same but thought it might help, the only things I don't like about it is the volume knobs a little small, it seems like it does not have loud audio (I've never missed anything and always heard everything said over it so I think it may just be my imagination), and it's not field programmable but then again I never use that anyway. My only regret is not getting the F33gs version instead(limited keypad). Other than that it's a great little radio all my Icom radios seem to pull in signals better than my other radios do, the battery life on it's very good too I can leave it on scan for about two days before it needs a charge, and it's pretty durable as well, I try not to be rough on things but am I've broken three or four "indestructible phones" so that shows how rough I am.
The Infinity K-911you referred too is basically a Relm or HTC RP6500 stamped with a different name. I have the model that was replaced by this, the Relm RP3600 it's a pretty good radio wish it were more sensitive and had a better battery life but other than that the radio is durable and has amazing audio.
I use the Icom though on a daily basis and prefer it, the Icom has allota good features you will not be disappointed with the Icom.

ab3ai

I have the 3161 and I like it. Lots of channels and scan options and the battery life seems good. I have also used a Kenwood TK-290 (didn't like it to much) and a NX-210 (I like this one) and like RadioGuy said the Icom and Kenwood are comparable. The one complant I do have with the 3161 is that there is not alot of programable buttons. With all the neat features this radio has (I ran out of buttons quick) they could have made the buttons programable for two funtions. Oh well.

gmrsoutlet

I have the 3161 and I like it. Lots of channels and scan options and the battery life seems good. I have also used a Kenwood TK-290 (didn't like it to much) and a NX-210 (I like this one) and like RadioGuy said the Icom and Kenwood are comparable. The one complant I do have with the 3161 is that there is not alot of programable buttons. With all the neat features this radio has (I ran out of buttons quick) they could have made the buttons programable for two funtions. Oh well.

I complained to Icom about this feature rich radio not having enough ways to gain access to features directly or indirectly. After some talks at IWCE I was left with the impression that they are going to try and work toward both a better way to access more of the options directly, and also via "menus" and scrolling with the up/down keys (like the Digital button).

ab3ai

I complained to Icom about this feature rich radio not having enough ways to gain access to features directly or indirectly. After some talks at IWCE I was left with the impression that they are going to try and work toward both a better way to access more of the options directly, and also via "menus" and scrolling with the up/down keys (like the Digital button).

That is one thing I like about Icom. They have been wounderful at doing fimeware upgrades for what we would like to have were I work.

stevelton

One thing I would love to see in an upgrade is a "Priority Volume"

This way whatever channel was set as priority could be set in the software to have a volume of "x" steps higher than all the other channels.

RADIOGUY2002

Scrolling

Scrolling and MENU drop down items would do them a great service. I agree with GMRS outlet whole heartily. They seemed to master that very well in the p25 radios, so I do see that coming in the near future for ICOM. So far they have listen to us, so I don't see why they would not now.

The menu drop items would make it good in comparison to the mototrbo line up or even the cm series. So, I safely assume there will be changes soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.