Icom: IC-705 Memory question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I was looking at the specs for the IC-705. It says that it as 500 memory channels. I downloaded the programming software to see what it looks like.

From the help file of the programming software:

"Group 00 ~ 99
The transceiver has a total of 500 memory channels, to store often-used frequencies.
You can create up to 100 groups, and each group can be assigned up to 100 channels."

So my understanding is that i could for example use 5 groups with 100 channels in each for a total of 500 channels or i could use 100 groups with 5 channels in each for a total of 500 channels ?

Basically any combinations of groups/channels up to 500 channels total ?

Many thanks
De VA2FS

Hit_Factor

Max in a group is 100.

I have 11 groups with 485 freqs entered and 15 remaining. One group has 100 entries.

Now that doesn't cover what you can put into repeater list. Those can have DSTar and FM repeaters in them. Along with the coordinates, the radio will turn on and off repeaters based on your location. Far more useful than memory banks in my opinion. These might even work for HF freqs.

I don't recall the limits for a repeater list. But I used one for my ID-52 and drove from Michigan to Montana, those two and the states in between all fit.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Max in a group is 100.

I have 11 groups with 485 freqs entered and 15 remaining. One group has 100 entries.

Now that doesn't cover what you can put into repeater list. Those can have DSTar and FM repeaters in them. Along with the coordinates, the radio will turn on and off repeaters based on your location. Far more useful than memory banks in my opinion. These might even work for HF freqs.

I don't recall the limits for a repeater list. But I used one for my ID-52 and drove from Michigan to Montana, those two and the states in between all fit.

I get it. 500 channels is a lot more than i need anyway, i just wanted to make sure how it works. The repeater list is quite big i would need to check in my 52 how many entries are in it.

Since you have a 705 i will ask another question if i may. The 705 has only 1 antenna connector for all the bands it can transmit on. So i assume that if one would like to be able to transmit on all available bands it would require 3 antennas and an antenna switch (assuming you don't want to connect/disconnect antennas) ?

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Ok, i get the duplexer setup. I will be a bit clearer (i hope)

1659574048314.png

What is in black is what i have. What is in red is what i envisioned. Basically i want to share a VHF/UHF antenna between the 9700 and 705 and share an HF antenna between the 7610 and 705.

How would you go about it ?

Hit_Factor

I bought more antennas. Having used switches in the past. I know sooner or later I'll transmit with the switch in the wrong position and damage equipment.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I don't have much space left, i also have a discone and a loop installed

Hit_Factor

I gave up on the loop. Hard to tune and the bandwidth was so narrow it negated the benefit of the waterfall display on the rig. I gave it a try based on eHam reviews. When I ran into problems, I contacted some of the reviewers. The said they never left reviews about the loop. I contacted eHam about it, but they were not interested.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Mine works well. it's mounted on a rotator about 8 feet above the ground. I use it on wide band receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.