Icom: IC-705: New QRP rig from Icom in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

This could be big and has the potential to give Elecraft a run for the money if specs and features are up there. Even if its performance is below the Icom 7300 it could still take a big chunk of the market if its priced right at under $1200. It seems to have a similar shape to the Elecraft KX2 and KX3 but I don't see any protruding handles or side panels to protect the knobs.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Check out the XIEGU G90. Solid build, built in antenna tuner, 10 through 160 meters. The display is small but very readable, cost from $40 to$500. See a review

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
...but I don't see any protruding handles or side panels to protect the knobs...
The 'protruding handles' are an aftermarket bolt on for the KX2/3 transceivers. Several manufacturers offer them for sale. I got a set with the KX-3 I bought (and later traded). I got them with the FT-857D I bought as well.

That is a slick looking QRP rig!

W5lz

This is an honest question, not a 'jibe' of some kind. Why would anyone want a QRP transmitter when I've always been able to turn down the average non-QRP transmitter? The only thing I can think of is cost...

prcguy

The handles are needed for front panel and knob protection but the radio mfrs don't seem to get it. The handles on your KX3 were probably from my design.

On the Xiegu radios, I have a few friends that have bought them and I forget the exact model, probably the G-90, but they do work ok. Transmit audio had a lot to be desired and we have no clue what the ultimate receiver performance is since nobody has run one through a lab yet and published close spaced dynamic range numbers. The KX3 has specs up with the $5k plus radios and set a benchmark for portable rigs. With some of the Xiego radios in the $250 $500 range you might be getting just what you paid for or you might be getting a bargain depending on the receiver specs.

The 'protruding handles' are an aftermarket bolt on for the KX2/3 transceivers. Several manufacturers offer them for sale. I got a set with the KX-3 I bought (and later traded). I got them with the FT-857D I bought as well.

That is a slick looking QRP rig!

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
This is an honest question, not a 'jibe' of some kind. Why would anyone want a QRP transmitter when I've always been able to turn down the average non-QRP transmitter? The only thing I can think of is cost...
Portability is the main reason! If you were to go SOTAing, would you rather carry 3 lbs or 35 lbs? :unsure:

prcguy

Ok, take the Elecraft KX2 for example, it only draws about 150ma on receive and it will run all day receiving on its tiny internal battery. Its transmit audio is soo loud and punchy some people have a hard time believing its only 10 watts and its efficient transmitter draws very little current as its biased appropriately for a 10w radio.

Now take something like a Yaesu FT-857, which is a popular radio for battery operation in the field and I ran one for years that way. It draws close to 1A on receive and when its transmitter is turned down to 10w and its keyed up in SSB mode with no output power, its quiescent current is nearly what the KX2 is when its putting out 10w. You need a lot of battery to run a 100w radio in the field even when its turned down to QRP levels. Try doing portable field work with other radios like an Icom 706MKIIG and you will be sucking up about 2 amps just in receive mode. The portable QRP radios are uniquely tailored for portable battery operation and efficiency and some have specs that surpass much more expensive base station radios.

W5lz

Okay, I can see the portability thing. I don't do much 'hoofing' so that's just not all that important to me. Even so, if I wanna have a radio with me when in the 'wild', I really can carry 35 pounds to do it. (wouldn't want to but...).

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I can see the portability thing. I don't do much 'hoofing' so that's just not all that important to me. Even so, if I wanna have a radio with me when in the 'wild', I really can carry 35 pounds to do it. (wouldn't want to but...).
Well, even so an FT-857D is limited to 20 watts when running on portable battery power, so you'd be carrying around a lot of "dead weight"...

W5lz

I don't have an FT-897D. I do have Kenwood stuff and that would be in that 35 pound limit.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Read that is is supposed to be sub-$1000 from a post over on Reddit.

My birthday is in March and I know what I'm telling the XYL I want...as I've honestly been waiting for something like it for 4 or 5 years (integrated sound card and QRP). That being said, I'm a data guy...SSB makes my ears hurt.

prcguy

If the new IC-705 is at or under $1,000 and it performs well like Icom later model SDRs then it will be bad news for other QRP rig sales. How would things like the Yaesu FT-818 or Commradio CTX-10 compete? The FT-818 doesn't have an antenna tuner and its basic design is nearly 20yrs old and the CTX-10 doesn't have 2m or 70cm or any features to speak of. Plus recent reviews of those radios have not been very kind.

At $1k I would probably order one of these the minute they are available as the last four Icoms I bought in the last year or so have been stellar performers.

Read that is is supposed to be sub-$1000 from a post over on Reddit.

My birthday is in March and I know what I'm telling the XYL I want...as I've honestly been waiting for something like it for 4 or 5 years (integrated sound card and QRP). That being said, I'm a data guy...SSB makes my ears hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.