Icom: IC-705: New QRP rig from Icom in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Is this shipping with the "VHF/UHF BNC whip antenna" noted on the promotion publications?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Is this shipping with the "VHF/UHF BNC whip antenna" noted on the promotion publications?

No. Speaker-mike, battery and DC power cable only.

Any ham worth his/her salt probably already has a dozen or two VHF/UHF whip antennae already, anyhow.

N4DJC

I have 83 countries confirmed using a Ten Tec Argonaut, from 1979 until 1983 before I stopped operating. I’m relatively well versed in QRPp as well, with 40 at less than 1 watt.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
What a fantastic maximum solar cycle you had those years to facilitate those contacts with low power. What antenna(s) did you use during those years? Just a bit of wire and or something more improved at times?

A fellow amateur sent me a video of a guy making contact using a 10 meter handheld once. I explained to him that video looks a bit dated and I'll wager it was a nice maximum when he did that. I doubt I'll see a fine solar cycle like that before I'm SK. Thank goodness for digital and a radio like the 705. Still, I'm a phone fan at heart which takes effort.
I have 83 countries confirmed using a Ten Tec Argonaut, from 1979 until 1983 before I stopped operating. I’m relatively well versed in QRPp as well, with 40 at less than 1 watt.

N4DJC

What a fantastic maximum solar cycle you had those years to facilitate those contacts with low power. What antenna(s) did you use during those years? Just a bit of wire and or something more improved at times?

A fellow amateur sent me a video of a guy making contact using a 10 meter handheld once. I explained to him that video looks a bit dated and I'll wager it was a nice maximum when he did that. I doubt I'll see a fine solar cycle like that before I'm SK. Thank goodness for digital, but I'm a phone fan at heart.

That cycle spoiled me, I had several QRO rigs but kept coming back to the simplicity of the Argos. I seldom used phone, I was a CW guy and loved it.

I used a Cushcraft R3 10-15-20 Vertical (had a built in tuner) for most of my contacts. i used a Hustler 4BTV with a bunch of radials before the R3. The R3 was the real deal, great low angle radiation.

I lived in an apartment complex and had few options. My wife managed the complex so it was easy to get permission to put it up. Running 5 watts or less, RFI wasn‘t an issue.

I loved those old 509 Argonauts, there’s a guy in town that can refurbish them. Maybe if thin

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber

A fellow amateur sent me a video of a guy making contact using a 10 meter handheld once.

I got my ticket in 1994, right before Cycle 23. I have a good friend who lives in Australia and another in New Zealand, and we could talk on 10m almost every day using 5w. Sometimes I would need to bump it up to 25w or 100w, but that was extremely rare. Hell, I even worked them on the CB using 12w SSB. The problem there is that it was just too crowded, and extremely difficult to find open space. And all that was with a Cushcraft R7 vertical (or whatever the all-band model was back then) 5 feet off the ground. Had basically just as much luck with the 102" whip in the car.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if people were making DX contacts with handhelds.

It's still plenty easy to do now, just not 10m, and you need a little more power or better antennas.

K9DWB

QRT
I'm not bashing anyone that says the IC-705 should have more of this or that, or that it just did or didn't include a this or that whatever. The problem I see is if it did have all those this and that wishlists fulfilled, it would no longer be an IC-705 and it would not be $1,299 or whatever price it's at now. And maybe that throws out portability as well. But what do I know, I'm just a guy on the internet, typing on the PC while in my pj's sitting in a basement somewhere.

:coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.