Icom: IC-705: New QRP rig from Icom in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Looks like an easy mod and it would leave you with the most awesome freeband CB!

DSTAR on CB? ;o)

If anyone is taking their unit apart please post a pic of the resistor bank before making any mods... i have the EU and JA versions... need the USA version to see its defaults.

DVE

May be interesting for somebody. Because I'm absolutely not satisfied with 705's recording quality, and the chance that Icom will add IF recording is very low, I decided to make my own one based on a Raspberry Pi. 12KHz bandwidth can be recorded, and frequency will automatically get from a transceiver. It's almost ready :)

I will publish it as open-source when done. For Raspberry Pi without LCD, control can be done via the smartphone.

Attachments

• ic705_rec.jpg
    ic705_rec.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 17

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
This blind audio test was an interesting read for anyone wondering about the audio quality.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Got a 705 on the way, thanks to Sean at Universal Radio. Should be here in time for a camping trip next week where I can get to know it.
If you are camping in a campground there will be a lot of interference on HF from all the inverters/converters/wall warts, etc. Most campgrounds I have stayed in look like a saw tooth generator on HF. Also I don't see much noise difference between a horizontal or vertical, slight but not enough to help. Got to get away from that noise cloud if you can.

I use a loop antenna which drastically lowers the noise floor, MLA-30 for receive only and Alex-Loop for transceive. The You-loop really lowers the noise floor since it's passive but it's receive only.

Our seasonal summer campground has a picnic spot on the Ohio River far away from the noise cloud so I'm going to take my 705 out there when my Bioenno battery arrives and try a few antennas. Let us know how your camping trip goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.