Icom: IC-7300 [receive ONLY current requirement]?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm considering the ICOM IC-7300 to be used as a receiver only (for now). Does anyone know the current requirement when using it for receiving only, no transmit?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
.9A standby, 1.25A max. audio per ICOM specs.

Great, that's what I was hoping for. Didn't occur to me to look up the specs, wasn't sure they would break that out separately. Very tired, can't sleep, not thinking clearly. :confused:

Thanks!

edweirdFL

If you do this, you can turn the output power down to the minimum so if you accidentally hit the tuner button, or something that causes it to TX momentary, it won't draw very many amps. (less than 10)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If you do this, you can turn the output power down to the minimum so if you accidentally hit the tuner button, or something that causes it to TX momentary, it won't draw very many amps. (less than 10)

Will the tuner be effective for receive? If so I might want to up the power supply to cover that.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I have the IC-7300 and it is a great transceiver. You will not go wrong buying this radio. The touch screen display is nice to use and easy to see. Sounds like you will be using this in a vehicle or with a limited power supply. If that's the case then do like edweirdFL stated and turn transmit power to lowest setting. I use the PS-126 Power Supply with my 7300.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have the IC-7300 and it is a great transceiver. You will not go wrong buying this radio. The touch screen display is nice to use and easy to see. Sounds like you will be using this in a vehicle or with a limited power supply. If that's the case then do like edweirdFL stated and turn transmit power to lowest setting. I use the PS-126 Power Supply with my 7300.

It would be used in my home as a receiver. I do not have a license at this time, but you never know. I'm also considering the IC-R8600, but $$$.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Will the tuner be effective for receive? If so I might want to up the power supply to cover that.

Yes and no, for in ham bands when tuned it will help receive, but usually not so that you will notice much change. More easily noticed when moving to a different band and the tuner doesn't know the new frequencies yet. Being setup for the other frequency the tuner is more an attenuator until tuned. Down side is you will have to transmit for the tuner to setup new tuning setting. Outside the ham bands if you can for an external tuner put it in bypass. The rig will not transmit outside of the ham bands.

I would say for now omit the AH-4 if that's what you thinking of using. Get a wire outside of your living structure for now. A manual tuner can be used and you are peaking the receiver noise while adjusting the capacitance and inductance.

Mike

prcguy

With a simple mod the 7300 transmits just fine outside the ham bands and the tuner works out of band also. Ideally you would never transmit anywhere without a license.

HF reception is governed by signal to noise ratio and with even a moderate wire antenna using an antenna tuner will not improve reception in any way. It can slightly increase signal strength but the noise will be increased exactly the same keeping the signal to noise ratio the same. The only time you might improve reception with a tuner is if the antenna is so small its starving the receiver for signal and then the slight increase in signal might improve the S/N ratio.

I agree the Icom 7300 is a fantastic radio for the price and will make a fine SW receiver. Just make sure you have a decent and large wire antenna up and you won't have to ever use the internal tuner until you get a ham licence to transmit.
prcguy

Yes and no, for in ham bands when tuned it will help receive, but usually not so that you will notice much change. More easily noticed when moving to a different band and the tuner doesn't know the new frequencies yet. Being setup for the other frequency the tuner is more an attenuator until tuned. Down side is you will have to transmit for the tuner to setup new tuning setting. Outside the ham bands if you can for an external tuner put it in bypass. The rig will not transmit outside of the ham bands.

I would say for now omit the AH-4 if that's what you thinking of using. Get a wire outside of your living structure for now. A manual tuner can be used and you are peaking the receiver noise while adjusting the capacitance and inductance.

Mike

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
With a simple mod the 7300 transmits just fine outside the ham bands and the tuner works out of band also. Ideally you would never transmit anywhere without a license.

Not wanting to muddy the original posters interest I left that information out for another day.

baybum

Not being familiar with this radio...what can cause it to transmit besides hitting the PTT on the mic?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I never did buy the IC-7300. I ended up finding a mint IC-7600 and it won me over. While the IC-7300 is an awesome rig (I'm pretty certain prcguy will agree ;)), but I really like the larger form factor of the 7600, and it also is an awesome rig. I sold my 35A power supply and purchased a 12A power supply which is more than enough to handle the 2.5~3A's is needs for receive only.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
While not sure of the 7300 most auto tuners transmit to find a match. As you don't want to transmit I would put the tuner in bypass mode. Without a license, it is illegal to transmit, even the lower power used for checking SWR or tuning an antenna. Remember a couple of watts into an effective antenna can cover several hundred miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.