Icom: IC-7300 RTTY ISSUES

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeKP

I have an ICOM 7300. I can receive Ham an WAIW RTTY with no problem. There are so many other RTTY transmissions that I cannot decode. Hoe can I overcome that?
Thanks, Keith

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's a lot of RTTY sounding signals outside the ham bands that really isn't - more often than not, it's a mode known as STANAG which is used by NATO forces. There's very little standard Baudot RTTY outside the ham bands.

However, that's not to say that everything is encrypted - it's not. They're just using modes not supported as defaults in radios like the 7300. With the right software, copying them is easy. Check this article out from our wiki...

If you get into this sort of thing, the Utility DXers Forum reflector on groups.io is the place to be. You're also quite likely to find other 7300 users there.

Mike

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Most amateur radio RTTY communications use a 170 Hz shift between Mark and Space tones. The IC-7300's internal RTTY decoder will only work with the shift set to 170 Hz. If you should happen to find a RTTY transmission that is using a different shift, the IC-7300's internal RTTY decoder will not be able to decode it and you'll need to use an external program.

DeKP

Well that's good to know. I have a brand new MFJ Multi reader 462B . I haven't been able to figure out the RTTY settings in that the instructions are less than adequate. Any suggestions? Thanks - Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.