• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IC-F1721D

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone,
I am having some issues reprogramming my station's base radio. It is an Icom IC-F1721D with the dial. I am able to read/write and do most things with no problem, I'm sure most of this is just operator error.
The first issue is getting the scan to work! I have 3 zones, in zone 1, all channels are in scan list 1, the channels I want scanned have "Inc" selected. however, when I press the P1 button I have programmed for "Scan A Start/Stop", it only says "SCAN1". The radio does not pick up any other channel but the channel it is on. All zones are set up with this same scheme and all have the same issue.
The second issue is with programming an analog channel with CSQ. I am trying to program interoperability channels with receive tone of CSQ. when I dial to a channel with that setup, It is open squelch. Is there a way to change this to tighten the squelch?

12dbsinad

1) Make sure the channels are in the scan list. Under scan list on the memory screen, make sure "1" is displayed to enable that channel in scan list 1. Also, when hitting the scan start/stop button make sure you do a quick press. A longer press will enter the radio in scan list selection mode. It will say "scan1" even though it isn't actually scanning.

2) The radio wide squelch is in the set mode screen. You can also turn on the "squelch tight" function on a per channel basis in the memory screen. The settings for squelch tight is in the common screen. This enables you to adjust squelch on a per channel basis if you encounter interference on a particular CSQ channel. First check to make sure the radio just isn't "unsquelched", if that's the case you'll get the green busy led on channels with PL/DPL when no traffic is heard.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for replying. The squelch issue has been resolved. The SQL Level was set to 0, now set to 100. I tried 25, 50, and 75 with little to no success. I double checked each zone and each zone has the according number in the scan list as pictured below. when I do a quick press on the scan button all i get is a beep. The radio still does not show anything or scan any other active channels.
ScanList1.jpg

12dbsinad

What are you using for a mic? If a hand mic, make sure the button is grounded, if a desk mic make sure the monitor switch isn't locked.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Ah okay. I am using a hand mic. I have tried scanning with out the mic attached and with the mic attached. Is there a way around this? In Common>Key & Display>Hanger Action under "Hook off Monitor" and "Hook on Scan" both are set to "OFF". I would prefer to not have to ground the mic hanger as the inverter is mounted under the cabinet.

12dbsinad

On the newer radio's you can, on that model it requires a mod either in the control head or the mic. It doesn't need to be grounded back to the power supply, just attach the mic clip to a side mounting screw and you're good to go.

cmdrwill

Yup you gota hang up the mic.The radio may have a "scan off hook" setting. Just not the same language as your Spectra's.
Maybe "Hook on Scan"

Put another nickle in the Hang Up Box.

Last edited:

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
That's what the problem was. Radio is scanning like it should. Thanks everyone for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.