• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IC-F221S RX issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb8vtw

New to me radio.
Problem: I cannot hear a signal unless the moni button is pushed to open the squelch. (Squelch is set at 70). I can then hear the signal but there still is a bunch of hiss noise in the background. It makes it sound like a weak signal but it is not. Any ideas? Thank you.

wb8vtw

No tone sq or PL enabled. When I hit the moni button I can hear the signal (from a nearby HT) but there is a bunch of noise mixed in which makes it sound like a weak signal. It is not a weak signal as I can vary the signal and the background noise does not change. Sounds like there are 2 RX, one receiving the signal and the other open Squelch with no signal being mixed together. I am not sure of the history of this radio.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Is your channel set to wide and what you're trying to hear set to narrow? Or maybe the other way around?

wb8vtw

Thank you for the replies.
I would think that even if it is set to the wrong channel width, it would still quiet the RX. BTW, it Xmits just fine. I have tried both wide and narrow.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
It's out of alignment. F221's are bulletproof but tend to drift after 10 years. Easy software fix if you have a service monitor. Otherwise you need to send it to Icom, AJR International or your friendly neighborhood Icom dealer.

wb8vtw

Thank you for the reply. I do have a service monitor and the Icom CS-F100S software but I so not see the ADJ section loaded on my laptop. It must have not been installed. I did verify the PLL voltage is ok but that is as far as I can get for now.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Pretty simple. Write down the alignment numbers in case you need to go back. Make sure the frequency reference is adjusted by TX-ing, then send a -100db signal and <enter to sweep> a couple times. If that fixes it I usually see usable signal at -120db and full quieting at -117db.

I seldom bother with the full setup or mod the clone cable, just unplug the cable and use the mic to TX. If a quick align doesn't fix it there is probably a mechanical issue. I'm in Illinois and use AJR International for repair. Call Veronica first 800.232.3965 They're fast, excellent, and should flat rate whatever is wrong for less than $125.

wb8vtw

Thank you for the reply.
I was able to get the ADJ program put on my laptop. I ran the sweep a few time. I had to crank up the signal generator to get it to hear a signal and could tell that it was trying to adjust for peak. Even with the generator cranked all the way up, there is still noise on the signal. It never quiets but I think the signal is strong enough to do so. The noise may be generated somewhere in the RX to give the appearance of a weak signal. I noticed that with no signal and unsquelched the RX noise sounds different on this radio compared to others, not as crisp or as loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.