• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IC-F3161DT Read Issue...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
I'm getting this issue when reading a IC-F3161DT that the software sees one radio just fine, the second radio it starts to read and then says the following seen below* but the radio continues to go through the data. The third radio I have says "Transceiver must be RR version. The transceiver cannot be programmed with the current setting. The transceiver's version does not match the initial setup." I know for a fact it's a RR radio as I can direct key entry the channel numbers.

Good, new programming cable, fully charged battery, Windows 10 running the CS-F3160/F5060 V3 RR Version 2.8.1. ONE radio gives me a version of 3.3.1, are these like Motorola where they're "version/CPS specific"? If so, calling ICOM should get me the proper CPS right......??

*Illegal data.
Check the following:
- The COM port settings.
- Cloning cable connections.
- Transceiver power is ON.

Regards,

-Frank C.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
So the second radio is now reading/writing just fine...I don't know what I did differently in the re-plugging it in to read the programming.

Regards,

-Frank C.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
One radio is special Railroad firmware and requires specific version of clone software, the other is standard firmware. In both cases, you need the proper version of CS programming software.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
I have the Railroad version as I'm authorized for it. I didn't know, until reading various forums, that there were different versions. All 3 radios are AAR radios, it is strange that the one giving "Transceiver must be RR version. The transceiver cannot be programmed with the current setting. The transceiver's version does not match the initial setup." isn't reading with the Railroad version...

Regards,

-Frank C.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Frank, what are the firmware revisions for each radio? Please list them here and I can advise what version of CS-F3260RR you require.

The latest standard version of CS-F3260_F5060 programming software is v5.3 and the latest firmware is v5.5 with DSP v3.2 on the UT-119/UT-126 board.

The latest Railroad version of CS-F3260_F5060 programming software is v4.6.4 and the latest firmware is v4.6.6 with DSP v3.2 on the UT-119/UT-126 board.

Of course this also depends on what hardware you really have. Are they all F3161's or is one a F3261? Once quick way to tell is if it has GPS integrated, which there will be an antenna on top between the orange emergency button and the volume control, if no square box antenna; it's not an F3261 series.

With the above said, you can only use the Railroad version of the programming software with the RR firmware and vise-versa. To check which firmware you have, with the radio powered off, hold down the P0 and P3 keys together and power on; it will scroll across the display and tell you exactly what is in each radio.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
No square boxes so not F3261's. Icom's are new to me, I've always been Kenwood/Motorola. I was given this with no direction, so I'm working through it.

How do you tell the firmware versions without looking at the "info" tab in the software? I'm sure there's a button combo I have to do...I call it CPS for ease of understanding, is it really called something else like Kenwood's is FPU...?

Regards,

-Frank C.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
I was editing as you were reading... To check which firmware you have, with the radio powered off, hold down the P0 and P3 keys together and power on; it will scroll across the display and tell you exactly what is in each radio.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Radio 1) Serial ends in 989 and has Rev 3.1.1 RR and seems to read okay one in three times.

Radio 2) Serial ends 261 and has Rev 2.4 and says "Transceiver must be RR version" but I am able to direct key to any channel like the RR railroad would. It is programmed for the railroad.

Radio 3) Serial ends in 371 and has Rev 3.1.1 RR and reads/writes no problem.

Regards,

-Frank C.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Okay, well that explains it. The radio with Rev 2.4 FW is very old and is not compatible with the programming software you have. I would HIGHLY recommend upgrading all three radios to the latest version, make sure you do both the FW and the DSP to ensure complete compatibility.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Easy enough to do with these radios? Seems like Radio 1 ending in 989 has a hit and miss read rate.

Regards,

-Frank C.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
I can say 100% without a doubt, you want to upgrade all of those radios and that version of the programming software. Again, do not forget about the DSP, if you are older than v3.2 for that; upgrade it... I sent you a PM!

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Thank you! I'll have to resource newer programming. At least I have two radios working, that's a PLUS! Adds to my NXDN fleet.

Regards,

-Frank C.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Good deal, and please let me know if that solves your issues; these are great radios, I know the developer of the RR firmware personally ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.