• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IC-F4161DS- THIS THING IS MELTING MY BRAIN POWER

RetroNay716

Good Afternoon,

I have contacted so many resources with either no response or solutions that did not solve my problem.

Hoping for a fresh set of eyes to help me.

I have a back up work radio for my husband (police) it it only for home use (audio listening only, not used for responding).

We purchased it on EBAY several years ago and the seller programmed it for us.
Recently our dept. updated the radios and I assume the channel because the home radio is now silent.

We have a handheld ICOM ICF4161DS. I recently purchased the OPC-i966 cable from a business on eBay and he has been trying to help me diagnose the issue but everything he recommends are things I have already done.

I downloaded the drivers recommend. Purchased a subscription to Radio Ref. hoping it would make this easier.
I plug the handheld scanner/radio into my computer via usb and open the software for the radio & nothing happens. I will try and hit clone after inputting the channel info. but the software doesn't connect to radio. Cable lights up when I plug it in so i know it works.

I get the error that says "NO PL2303 CHIP". The business I got the cable from said to remove prolific drivers and I did but still no change. This is what they said:
It's interesting that it says no PL2303 chip, considering this is an FTDI cable and not a Prolific cable.
Try removing the Prolific drivers.
This is the only FTDI driver you should need for Windows 10 (which is what I presume you are using).
I have the cdm21236 installed.

Not sure what my next step should be. I am new to this so I figured once the scanner is actually recognized by the software so I can toy around with updating the channels and what not, but I can't test that part out until this darn things connects.

My device manager under port/com says "usb serial port (com4).

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 30
  • ICOM_F4161S_2_clipped_rev_1_5485ddf0-eb22-41e9-81d0-545119598c7a__66265.jpg
    ICOM_F4161S_2_clipped_rev_1_5485ddf0-eb22-41e9-81d0-545119598c7a__66265.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 27
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 28

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Did you set the cloning software to use the serial port as showing in your windows device manager?
You are using correct Icom Cloning Software, CS-F3060/5060 and not CS-F50 as your screen shot shows right?

RetroNay716

Thank you for responding! The seller who sold me the cable provided me the link to download and it is the CS-F50 one.
I do have the COM port set to port 4 like my device manager has it set to. I have been looking up everything imaginable for weeks and cant figure out why its not popping up on device manager.

RetroNay716

I finally got the correct software! But it gives an error when i try to clone

Attachments

• ERRROR.JPG
    ERRROR.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 36

12dbsinad

Well first off what did the Dept update the radio's and channel too? Are they still using IDAS in the UHF range?

RetroNay716

They were upgraded an entire new system. Saia Communications (which I did see on this website does them and the channels used). I'm only a week into learning this entire thing so I'm not familiar with IDAS/UHF range. I wanted to try the new channels listed by Saia Communications but every time I add the new channel I get the roaming error.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
It will help if you provide your location and the department you are trying to program.

12dbsinad

They were upgraded an entire new system. Saia Communications (which I did see on this website does them and the channels used). I'm only a week into learning this entire thing so I'm not familiar with IDAS/UHF range. I wanted to try the new channels listed by Saia Communications but every time I add the new channel I get the roaming error.
Well if it's a completely new system with new radio's how do you know your Icom will even be compatible and work? That's what I would check first because you may be wasting your time

RetroNay716

I believe they only changed channels. My scanner was previously set to 460.1500000. On the database it's now a completely different number. If i can troubleshoot why it gives me a roaming/firmware message I can mess around with the channels.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230210_222545_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230210_222545_Chrome.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20230210_222416_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230210_222416_Chrome.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 31

INDaviation

Custom title goes here
Premium Subscriber
If they switched to Saia then your radio won't work for that system. Your iCom does IDAS, a form of NXDN. Saia is a DMR system, which is a completely different digital protocol. You'll need a scanner that can receive Motorola Connect Plus DMR trunked systems. An actual radio won't work since the radio has to affiliate with the system.

12dbsinad

Glad someone here knew your area and the different systems. If someone buys all new radio's and goes to a new "system", it's very highly likely that your old radio won't be compatible, that's why I said what I said. Now you can focus on getting a scanner and hope they are not running any form of encryption. Good luck!

RetroNay716

Just wanted to update my post. Turns out I'm getting that error on my software because the firmware is indeed outdated.
I am unable to program any channel into it.
Even though I still need to get a scanner compatible to the MOTOTRBO XPR6350 I thought for now I could use other locations but nope.... firmware isn't up to date and apparently I have to go to a "dealer", ugh.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230214_110555_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230214_110555_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 13

Vern

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to update my post. Turns out I'm getting that error on my software because the firmware is indeed outdated.
I am unable to program any channel into it.
Even though I still need to get a scanner compatible to the MOTOTRBO XPR6350 I thought for now I could use other locations but nope.... firmware isn't up to date and apparently I have to go to a "dealer", ugh.
Icom NX Firmware MEGA.NZ is a folder full of Icom firmware. It has saved me and others many times.
I used mostly VHF (IC-F3161D series) but I'm pretty sure the firmware covers the 4161's as well.

Vern

EA4AGU

Icom NX Firmware MEGA.NZ es una carpeta llena de firmware Icom. Me ha salvado a mí y a otros muchas veces.
Usé principalmente VHF (serie IC-F3161D), pero estoy bastante seguro de que el firmware también cubre los 4161.

vern
Vern, buenas tardes desde España, espero que estés bien de salud, mi nombre es Jesús, soy radioaficionado desde 1974, cumplo 73 años en mayo, pero hoy me divierto mucho con lo digital, GRACIAS para su carpeta llena de firmware icom, ha salvado mi icom IC-F4162S de un largo sueño, lo tengo trabajando en la banda de radioaficionados en modo NXDN, gracias a usted.
EL QUE SIEMBRA BIEN SIEMPRE COSECHA BIEN.
Jesús - EA4AGU

Attachments

• IMG-20230510-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20230510-WA0002.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 1

Vern

Premium Subscriber
Vern, buenas tardes desde España, espero que estés bien de salud, mi nombre es Jesús, soy radioaficionado desde 1974, cumplo 73 años en mayo, pero hoy me divierto mucho con lo digital, GRACIAS para su carpeta llena de firmware icom, ha salvado mi icom IC-F4162S de un largo sueño, lo tengo trabajando en la banda de radioaficionados en modo NXDN, gracias a usted.
EL QUE SIEMBRA BIEN SIEMPRE COSECHA BIEN.
Jesús - EA4AGU
Son excelentes noticias. Gracias por la actualizacion. Me alegro de que te hayas puesto a trabajar.
Vern