• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IC-F4GS going digital voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

I have 3 IC-F4GS radios, very nice. Hoping to find digital module supporting D-STAR. All I have found so far is the UT-111 LTR trunking module but info for this is secret til you buy it.
Will this module go D-STAR ? not concerned over trunking, just DMR.
73s

merlin

Hmph,,I will have to dig up a link that insinuates otherwise or is MotoTurbo also analog.
All these variants can get confusing.
JT8, maybe that was it. Skidded past a site with such odd mods but noted the same radio I have.
Oldies but goodies my perspective.

N5XPM

Hmph,,I will have to dig up a link that insinuates otherwise or is MotoTurbo also analog.
All these variants can get confusing.
JT8, maybe that was it. Skidded past a site with such odd mods but noted the same radio I have.
Oldies but goodies my perspective.
I believe wide and narrowband analog only. Not any big secrets on these that I recall over the past 20 years. NXDN first arrived in 3160 I believe (commercial line) and Dstar is the amateur Digital mode arriving in ID 31 and maybe another model.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The F3/F4s are commercial (LMR) radios. It isn't compatible with any digital voice (iDAS/NXDN) or amateur modules.
The F3/F4s did have an option for both LTR and PassPort trunking, but nothing digital at al.
You may be thinking of the amateur product line variants, The IC-V82 and U82 respectively. I'll caution you, the D-Star experience on the V82 and U82 is very archaic and not user friendly at all compared to newer and current D-Star radios. The D-Star module for these is the UT-118.

merlin

A ham posted a blog converting an IC-F4GS with Mototurbo. Sounded very simple, now if I can just find that.
I have other radios that do DMR, so not any big deal.
Hey, supposedly works with the F3 VHF also.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
That would be interesting. I used to have an Icom IC-F4 that I used on GMRS and 70cm. A very basic lower tier radio. Analog only, and I'd be interested to know how they made it do TDMA with an old analog transceiver.
Me too! Especially how they controlled talk groups, time slots coordination, etc. It would be a real eye opener.

12dbsinad

There were 2 versions. The 40 channel version was narrowband only (not switchable) and the 100 channel version did both wide/narrow. Option boards were available but nothing digital voice. Heck, I don't even think these were in production (EOL) when Mototurd was invented.

merlin

I found that link and see what a waste. a lot of mods to the radio, then adding the DSP.
Better off starting with a radio that does digital.
One of my system radios has analog scrambler, cool, but would rather have 2 tone encodin/decoding.

Status
Not open for further replies.