• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IC-F621TR questions not covered in documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

I got my IC-F621 fixed and for heck, loaded it up with FRS/GMRS channels. That part works.
LTR and Passport are new to me, I gather just another trunking protocol.
This has option UT-108 (DTMF decoder) and wondering if this wil display MDC 1200.
A tab in programming shows displaying messages with IDs so curious if this is it.
Reason asking is our local transit is full of MDC1200 and like to ID buses that are talking.
Thanks bunches 73s

12dbsinad

The radio will not do MDC1200 signalling. The DTMF decoder is just that, DTMF, it will decode DTMF only.

They are good radio's, back in the LTR trunking days we sold a lot of them.

merlin

Explain how it displays messages similar to MDC.
Th programming manual touches on the subject but a small paragraph.

12dbsinad

It will display programmed text when a matched DTMF code is received. I think it will do up to 10 codes, and If my memory serves me it's only available while in LTR mode, not conventional. It's been awhile since I've messed with one, but I am certain it does not do MDC.

merlin

It will display programmed text when a matched DTMF code is received. I think it will do up to 10 codes, and If my memory serves me it's only available while in LTR mode, not conventional. It's been awhile since I've messed with one, but I am certain it does not do MDC.
Well, I see where you are right and a tad confusion on my part. Icom calls it 5-tone and in those settings can be made compatible with MDC 600, MDC 1200 as well as Ericsson's G-star. those are only in the LTR and Passport editing panels.
There is also a 2-tone sequential, great for selective calling, also available in the conventional settings.
Before Cellular, My portable phone was a GE PE with 2-tone on RCC carrier service.
My only other radio UHF with 5-tone is an M-RK scan, but haven't gotten the (G-star) to work. (disabled I think) My F4ST talks well together and it has the scrambler. (for 2-tone, that takes the 2-tone daughter card.)
Yet another F621 to repair, maybe it will be the same. I guess the messages have to be preconfigured, 32 characters that scroll.

Last edited:

merlin

A quick follow up. All of the DTMF features program just fine on conventional channels also.
I have work yet on the radio, it needs adjustments, especially modulation levels. Power out is 28 watts high.
A new DTMF mic sounds tinny and the tones too high. I'd like to get the up/down buttons to work, but doubt it.
So far, a neat little radio for what it is.

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
The Icom Adjust software is nuts. Pretty easy to screw things up in there. I don't know how many F621TR radios I threw into the scrap trailer last year when I was cleaning out the storage building at our old office. I still keep finding those things around here in boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.