IC-R10 polarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE7TJK

IC-R10 owners,

I need to know the polarity if the power plug on this radio.

I just got one off of ebay, and I need to go buy an AC adaptor for it. I have the voltage figured out, I just need the plug polarity.

Thanks!

Comint

Premium Subscriber
CODE03 said:
IC-R10 owners,

I need to know the polarity if the power plug on this radio.

I just got one off of ebay, and I need to go buy an AC adaptor for it. I have the voltage figured out, I just need the plug polarity.
Centre pin is Positive. Sleeve is Negative.

The outside diameter of the plug is 3.8mm. Don't know if the inside diameter is 1mm or 1.3mm - I can't measure it.

Comint

KE7TJK

Well, I went to radio Shack today to get an adaptor, and much to my suprise, I was unable to get one that worked!

We tried all of the adapta plugs they had, and only one would fit. (orange ring) We plugged in the IC-R10, and it wouldn't power it up.

Consequently, I need to find an OEM A\C adaptor for this radio.

Any help locating one would be appreciated.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
CODE03 said:
We tried all of the adapta plugs they had, and only one would fit. (orange ring) We plugged in the IC-R10, and it wouldn't power it up.

Consequently, I need to find an OEM A\C adaptor for this radio.
The Icom Part No is BC-110 for the AC adapter, or if your already have a DC supply, you could try for the OPC-254L Power Supply Lead.

The Manual says the IC-R10 will accept 4.8 to 13.5 VDC.

There is a comment in the Manual, about having the CHARGE switch (in the Battery Compartment) in the OFF position, when powering the R10 from an external source.

Comint

KE7TJK

Thanks.

I have a OPC-254L enroute; I cannot locate the BC-110 at HRO, Universal, or Action.

I have an email pending to Icom in Bellevue to see if I can get one from them.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
CODE03 said:
I have a new style BC-110AR enroute from Icom.
It will be interesting to see if your scanner works with either of your new power sources.

I have a BC-110V, but it is rarely used. I have been powering my R10 from 12VDC, using non-OEM plugs, for about nine years with no problems.

You may notice that the OEM plugs are slightly different from 'standard' plugs in that they have a small recess around the SLEEVE near the TIP (like some laptop computer power plugs), whereas the SLEEVE of the 'standard' plug is the same diameter for its full length.

Comint.

KE7TJK

Well, looks like I have a problem.

I have the BC-110A charger, and the mobile power cord, and neither of them will power the radio.

I have flipped the charge switch both ways, to no avail.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure like to hear them.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
CODE03 said:
Well, looks like I have a problem.

I have the BC-110A charger, and the mobile power cord, and neither of them will power the radio.

I have flipped the charge switch both ways, to no avail.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure like to hear them.
There is an internal 3A fuse in the negative path. It appears to be an SMD type, and is located behind the keypad on the bottom side of the Logic Unit, just to the left of the EASY and EDIT buttons.

The fuse is actually between the negative terminal of the DC socket, and the chassis ground. So if you put an ohmmeter between the negative terminal and the antenna socket outer, you should get a very low resistance reading if the fuse is not blown.

Comint

Status
Not open for further replies.