IC-R15 - First Impressions

a727469

Premium Subscriber
I received my Comet AB35WS today and....it is another terrible disappointment, it is just as bad as the Watson 901. The signal sticks dual band is so much of a better performer and the Icom FA-B02AR coming out on top. I think I have finally found my king of handheld antennas...the Icom FA-B02AR. If I need to improve the reception any better, I will bring out the Taco D-5076 mounted on a tripod.
Hope you can return some or you, too will have drawer of not so useful antennas🤪😃

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
Question for @xms3200 - The FA-B02AR antenna is the stock antenna for the ICOM A25C which can only transmit on 118 to 137 and receive on 108 to 137 - I am guessing it is "tuned" to some degree for that range - have you had a chance to test it on the UHF frequencies (225 to 380) to see how well it can receive in that area? Thanks

xms3200

Premium Subscriber
I have tried to pick up UHF mil air…no success yet…all the military aircraft passing overhead CLE and even not that far away, are transmitting on VHF air..including a Boeing E4B (doomsday 747), so I am quite happy to stick to VHF scanning.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
I realize a bit off topic, but we should organize a club whereby we have everyone with the antenna drawers take one antenna per month and send it to another member. That way we can keep them circulating and everyone gets to experience the joys of all over priced, non-working antennas!

footage

Premium Subscriber
I'm confused about the VSC (Voice Squelch Control) setting, When I toggle it on, it doesn't hold, either on particular memory channels or during a scan. And when I edit a .csv memory channel file and specify that it's on, it doesn't work. I know it is said to work only for FM and FM-N, but I can't get it to work at all. Has anyone successfully enabled it?

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
The FA-B02AR antenna is the stock antenna for the ICOM A25C which can only transmit on 118 to 137 and receive on 108 to 137 - I am guessing it is "tuned" to some degree for that range - have you had a chance to test it on the UHF frequencies (225 to 380) to see how well it can receive in that area? Thanks

It's actually tuned this way:

119 - 137 megs == < 4:1
121 - 136 megs == < 3:1
126 - 134 megs == < 2:1
130.5 megs == 1.2:1

There's a very small sliver of matching around 332 megs but it's so narrow it's pointless. It should definitely not be used for UHF mil-air.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I received my R15 from Moonraker today. Interesting that ICOM changed the box to their usual brown color. My unit also came with firmware 1.02 already installed. I'm charging up the battery now so I'll comment on its performance later. From what I've seen for the first 30s, the audio sounds great. I also love the screen -- very crisp and clear -- which these old eyes appreciate.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I'm confused about the VSC (Voice Squelch Control) setting, When I toggle it on, it doesn't hold, either on particular memory channels or during a scan. And when I edit a .csv memory channel file and specify that it's on, it doesn't work. I know it is said to work only for FM and FM-N, but I can't get it to work at all. Has anyone successfully enabled it?
What do you believe this feature to do? My understanding is that it is suppose ignore digital noise. Are you saying it doesn't do that?

xms3200

Premium Subscriber
Thanks devicelab for the info on the Icon FAB02AR, I will try the Signal sticks dual band for UHF mil next time.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I swept the factory antenna. Very disappointing. It has a VERY narrow sliver around 148 megs @ 1.1 SWR. Then its next match is around 460 megs @ 2.0 SWR. From 400-500 it's generally under 3:1 but definitely not good for full coverage.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
FWIW, I tried a few other antennas. It's going to nearly impossible to find a broadband rubber ducky antenna that covers 118-470 megs.

My Remtronix REM-842B is not bad but it's very thick and fairly large for the R15. They do sell a SMA version. That will get you tuned VHF Air, VHF Biz, UHF Mil-Air and UHF Biz bands.

(The REM-842B works quite well for other scanners -- trunking, etc. Just note that it's not a small antenna.)

My best antenna recommendation is this:

There's a clone of the Diamond telescopic on Amazon for $16 but I have no experience with that model.

With the Diamond fully extended, you'll get VHF Air and UHF Mil-Air. If you collapse the first top section, then you'll shift up a bit in frequency which brings in VHF HAM/Biz/Marine & RR. This does shift the UHF Mil-Air to the upper portion -- like 280-380 megs.

The overall point is that with the thin, telescopic whip you will have a tuned antenna for anywhere on 118-470 megs. It also has the tilty-flippy mechanism so that may be a good selling point too.

PS. Watson also makes a telescopic whip but I don't have that model. I do own both 881 whips and they're OK but again, not broad enough for full coverage.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, I tried a few other antennas. It's going to nearly impossible to find a broadband rubber ducky antenna that covers 118-470 megs.

My Remtronix REM-842B is not bad but it's very thick and fairly large for the R15. They do sell a SMA version. That will get you tuned VHF Air, VHF Biz, UHF Mil-Air and UHF Biz bands.

(The REM-842B works quite well for other scanners -- trunking, etc. Just note that it's not a small antenna.)

My best antenna recommendation is this:

There's a clone of the Diamond telescopic on Amazon for $16 but I have no experience with that model.

With the Diamond fully extended, you'll get VHF Air and UHF Mil-Air. If you collapse the first top section, then you'll shift up a bit in frequency which brings in VHF HAM/Biz/Marine & RR. This does shift the UHF Mil-Air to the upper portion -- like 280-380 megs.

The overall point is that with the thin, telescopic whip you will have a tuned antenna for anywhere on 118-470 megs. It also has the tilty-flippy mechanism so that may be a good selling point too.

PS. Watson also makes a telescopic whip but I don't have that model. I do own both 881 whips and they're OK but again, not broad enough for full coverage.
Yes! Exactly what I was trying to say in my post #173 above…good advice with some good recommendations !