IC-R15 - First Impressions

bcradio

Database Admin
@bcradio This is the only fault i've discovered on my R30. I'm guessing the R15 doesn't have this problem due to no digital modes.

Haven’t noticed anything like that on this one.

bearcatrp

Am pretty sure the screen on the R15 is the same as the 52a, which I had at one time. It’s a great screen. The frequencies are about the same. It did ok on air band.

krtz07

Feed Provider
Purchase and release?

For us Railroad listeners, how is the sensitivity on weaker NWS channels compared to the more sensitive receivers you have ? Is the audio clearer?

bcradio

Database Admin
Hey @krtz07 !

Ok, here is a comparison of the two radios on the same table using the same antenna (Icom FA-S270C). I did elevate the Icom on a couple books so the antenna base was at the same height as the Uniden.

I tried to match the volume of the two radios beforehand by opening the squelch on a frequency one MhZ up and adjusting until the sounded kind of the same.

This isn’t scientific or anything, just a hastily thrown together comparison.

xms3200

Premium Subscriber
bc radio...I fully agree with all your comments on the IC-R15, awesome display, super fast scanning and good selectivity. If you are using the supplied FA-S270C antenna and are happy, you should try the Icom FA-B02AR for a big improvement.
The display is so clear and the scanning speed is so fast, suddenly, my Icom A25C seems pre-historic. The dual band is great.
Lastly, both my Icom's generate a lot of noise when it is close to my desktop computer, just like you mentioned. LED/LCD monitors & TV's seem to affect VHF airband a lot. Moving back 6 feet away makes a difference.

krtz07

Feed Provider
Cool comparison! It's night and day but Unidens in my experience aren't the best at receiving at 160-162 MHZ. I had a BCD325P2 which was completely deaf much of the times. Is there any other receiver which you have that could be more sensitive to compare against?

Hey @krtz07 !

Ok, here is a comparison of the two radios on the same table using the same antenna (Icom FA-S270C). I did elevate the Icom on a couple books so the antenna base was at the same height as the Uniden.

I tried to match the volume of the two radios beforehand by opening the squelch on a frequency one MhZ up and adjusting until the sounded kind of the same.

This isn’t scientific or anything, just a hastily thrown together comparison.

bcradio

Database Admin
Cool comparison! It's night and day but Unidens in my experience aren't the best at receiving at 160-162 MHZ. I had a BCD325P2 which was completely deaf much of the times. Is there any other receiver which you have that could be more sensitive to compare against?
Just Uniden handhelds right now.. I do have an Icom IC-R2 but it's not at my location right now ;-)

YoShep69

Premium Subscriber
Can you please check the stated 150ch/s scan speed? Set receiver A to search 118-127MHz in 25KHz steps and receiver B to 128-137MHz and it should do the whole VHF airband in 2 seconds.

/Ubbe
With those two search ranges you were missing 127 to 128 range

yoshep

bcradio

Database Admin
It was more to see how fast it can step through 9 MHz of bandwidth. The ranges give exactly 9 on each side

bcradio

Database Admin
Yeah, the Icoms are little beauties, eh!

I’ll do a side by side with my R2, but it’ll have to be in a couple days.

bearcatrp

Did you use the stock antenna on your 325P2? If so, can see why you claim deaf.

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
I've always been able to pick up NOAA using any stock antenna on any scanner. Jeez, they're not that bad.

krtz07

Feed Provider
Did you use the stock antenna on your 325P2? If so, can see why you claim deaf.
No, I actually used a Laird 160 mhz antenna and several others including the diamond . I was shocked how deaf it was.

Air490

Hello from Down Under, I am interested to get R-15 (already own R-30, U126AT, FT60, TX-1) handhelds.
Can one let me know how many Countries you can selected for international Band Plan scanning. like TRX-1
Australia/New zealand are base countries, my travels also take me mainly to Denmark, Poland, Philippines (possible US Band plan)
also waiting for compasison to R-30 in due course

I can find any info in the Manulals re Band
Regads Chris
It should be much the same as the IC-R30 i.e. a generic bandplan and you set the appropriate steps yourself.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
The display on the IC-R15 is a considerable improvement over the dreadful one on the IC-R30.

As for true dual receive - big deal. Even cheap chinese HT's have had this for some years now. My Wouxun KG-UV9D has it and covers more bands with a display that is miles better than the abysmal one on the R30.

The IC-R15 looks like a nice niche radio for airband monitoring but I still think it's not good value for money. If one doesn't care too much about the display then the IC-R6 is a better buy for the airband nut.

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
I have 2 R6s and they're great for airband. But dual watch with the R30 is nice, especially when UHF aerial refueling hands off to Cleveland Center on VHF. Yes you can scan all that in 1 bank but it feels more special knowing you're monitoring them simultaneously 😊