IC-R15 - First Impressions

KD9KSO

Band allocation used in the US for railroads:

Frequency-bands-and-their-usage-for-railroad-communications.png

nickwilson159

Feed Provider
I did a quick test this afternoon with both the R15 and the R30. Both were hooked up to the NMO mounted Larsen NMO150/450/758 antenna on my vehicle as I sat along the Hudson River. These are the .wav files recorded directly from the receiver. Didn't have the multicoupler up & running yet for a truly fair comparison, but you get the idea:

I can definitely say that I recommend the R15 at this point. The audio quality sounds better than the R30's does, the range is right there with the R30's, and I also noticed that the R15 appears to do better with regard to selectivity & adjacent channel rejection. There is plenty of VHF traffic in the area, and I could distinctly hear the desensing occurring in the R30, whereas this effect was not nearly as pronounced on the R15.

I had my Kenwood NX-5700 on as a control subject, although it goes through its own NMO mounted 1/4 wave VHF antenna. It didn't have any signs of desense like the two Icom receivers did, but the two Icom receivers both seemed to pull in signals just a little better.

Last edited:

a727469

Premium Subscriber

nickwilson159 and xms3200 I appreciate and agree totally with your positions…that’s what makes this hobby great..we all have individual interests and priorities in the hobby, but understand and support everyone…Since I am not as involved in air and rail, I enjoy hearing about groups and clubs etc who have much more understanding of radio needs than I do..please do enjoy your radios!

nickwilson159

Feed Provider
@nickwilson159 - What was the gain set to on the R30? Does the R15 have gain adjustment and what was it set at?
The gain was set to Max on the R30. The R15 doesn’t have a gain setting, but does have built-in attenuation - which was not used for this test, so effectively Max gain on the R15 as well.

Note that this test is just for the A receivers - the B receiver on the R15 didn’t record for some reason (probably a mistake on my part).

KB2GOM

I did a quick test this afternoon with both the R15 and the R30. Both were hooked up to the NMO mounted Larsen NMO150/450/758 antenna on my vehicle as I sat along the Hudson River. These are the .wav files recorded directly from the receiver. Didn't have the multicoupler up & running yet for a truly fair comparison, but you get the idea:

I can definitely say that I recommend the R15 at this point. The audio quality sounds better than the R30's does, the range is right there with the R30's, and I also noticed that the R15 appears to do better with regard to selectivity & adjacent channel rejection. There is plenty of VHF traffic in the area, and I could distinctly hear the desensing occurring in the R30, whereas this effect was not nearly as pronounced on the R15.

I had my Kenwood NX-5700 on as a control subject, although it goes through its own NMO mounted 1/4 wave VHF antenna. It didn't have any signs of desense like the two Icom receivers did, but the two Icom receivers both seemed to pull in signals just a little better.
Informative recording. I realize that "DXing NOAA weather radio stations" is not the subject of this thread, but FYI, an ICOM R6 with a telescopic antenna set to 20 inches appears to be a sensitive setup for hunting weak NOAA channels. Thanks for doing that test.

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
The gain was set to Max on the R30. The R15 doesn’t have a gain setting, but does have built-in attenuation - which was not used for this test, so effectively Max gain on the R15 as well.

Note that this test is just for the A receivers - the B receiver on the R15 didn’t record for some reason (probably a mistake on my part).
Just making sure - was the "B" receiver active on the R30?

krtz07

Feed Provider
It's been proven on the R30 that receiver B is a bit more sensitive. Supposedly receiver A is triple conversion and B is double conversion.

Cool comparison but I do wonder if there is an difference in reception quality between the A and B receiver on the R15.

KD9KSO

RadioWorld in the UK has it for 375. pounds before shipping. Good to deal with too. I bought my AR8200 MkIII from them.

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
IC-R15 is now listed at HRO at $559.95:

Only $40 less than what I paid for my R30 in 2020. I'm waiting until I see some empirical & trustworthy reviews on how it does on VHF and especially UHF airband compared to the R30. If only slightly better...I technically don't need 2 of the same $$ radio, but TBD.

I have two R2s and two R6s but that's different :D