IC-R15 - First Impressions

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Yeah...$560 U.S.A. price versus $320-$380 in Japan, depending on where you shop. Is there some kind of massive tariff I am unaware of? I would pay around $300 due to its devastating lack of a keypad for direct frequency entry on a receiver.

krtz07

Feed Provider
Yeah...$560 U.S.A. price versus $320-$380 in Japan, depending on where you shop. Is there some kind of massive tariff I am unaware of? I would pay around $300 due to its devastating lack of a keypad for direct frequency entry on a receiver.
Where was it sold for $320-350?!!

palmerjrusa

Is it though?

My IC-R3 was $599.00 when it was released way back in the 1990s.

Allowing for inflation etc...

It was Icom's high-end handheld wideband receiver at the time, the novelty was/is the color screen.

Secondhand units in good condition still command top dollar...

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
@krtz07 - I think Bic Camera has it for around 60,000 Yen. A bit less elsewhere. Even Icom notes its MSRP is around $420, and its retail price is $380 right on their website.

* There are varying frequency coverage gaps though in Mil Air for the Japanese version. That does not work for my use.

eorange

♦RF Damaged Member♦
It was Icom's high-end handheld wideband receiver at the time, the novelty was/is the color screen.

Secondhand units in good condition still command top dollar...
I always thought that one was overpriced haha considering it was mostly a dud (never had one, just from what I read.)

krtz07

Feed Provider
@krtz07 - I think Bic Camera has it for around 60,000 Yen. A bit less elsewhere. Even Icom notes its MSRP is around $420, and its retail price is $380 right on their website.

* There are varying frequency coverage gaps though in Mil Air for the Japanese version. That does not work for my use.
Just trying to figure out the difference between $380 which is mildly high yet reasonable to something outrageous such as $559 🙄

palmerjrusa

The difference is a fair profit vs. greed.

US retailers are in the latter catagory.

I think likely it's Icom that sets the price their dealers can charge.

As for profit vs. greed, Icom is a business and businesses, if they're being run properly, should seek to maximize their profits.

a727469

Ok now an honest question…what am I missing?…at the price being quoted in the US by HRO, why would someone not just get an id-52a especially if you are a ham..or even if not? For $40 more you get basically the same receiver technology and much more. I guess I am very simple minded but this would be a no brainer…please someone correct me📻😊

bcradio

Database Admin
This is Canada but in us$ I know nothing about this company

Actually, that company is based in Italy. That’s where I ordered mine. Add the $30 shipping it came out to $499 USD delivered, but had to pay tax. Total was like $530 us or so.

palmerjrusa

I think this will be a short lived product at US prices.

Likely Icom will drop the price after a while, look at how much an IC-7300 is now compared to its original price, it's hundreds of dollars cheaper.

However, I don't defer gratification well, at least when it comes to new radio gear...

palmerjrusa

Ok now an honest question…what am I missing?…at the price being quoted in the US by HRO, why would someone not just get an id-52a especially if you are a ham..or even if not? For $40 more you get basically the same receiver technology and much more. I guess I am very simple minded but this would be a no brainer…please someone correct me📻😊

The ID-52 lacks certain features, e.g. smaller tuning steps...