IC-R15 squelch setting

Air490

I am loving everything about the IC-R15 except for the squelch setting. I am finding for the first time ever on an Icom receiver (this includes the R6, RX7, R20 and R30) I am having to wind the squelch up to 4 or 5 to block out noise and get the receiver to scan. The other Icoms I own all stay on "Auto", or at most 1 or 2, and have no problems with interference.
Is anyone else experiencing this or do I just have a defective unit?

footage

Premium Subscriber
I find 1 works quite well to block out the crud on UHF low-power and FRS freqs. I don't find as much AC-line interference on VHF air with the R15 as I do on all other radios, including the A25.

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
I am loving everything about the IC-R15 except for the squelch setting. I am finding for the first time ever on an Icom receiver (this includes the R6, RX7, R20 and R30) I am having to wind the squelch up to 4 or 5 to block out noise and get the receiver to scan. The other Icoms I own all stay on "Auto", or at most 1 or 2, and have no problems with interference.
Is anyone else experiencing this or do I just have a defective unit?
Interesting you bring this up. I don't own the R15. But I do have two R6s and an R30.

One R6 was bought new when they were first released, which was many many years ago. That R6 and my R30 (year 2020) exhibit normal squelch behavior.

The other R6 was bought < 1 year ago. That R6 exhibits the differing squelch behavior you're observing on your R15. That makes me wonder if Icom sourced newer parts with different squelch specs on those radios.

aprilexe

Premium Subscriber
I get this on my ID52 in auto squelch setting but only scanning AM air bands on both VHF and UHF. FM bands auto works as expected. Getting away from the Mac and other running radios helps but even then often a transmission will end and the squelch remains open until I start the scan again after which the offending frequencies pass by no problem. I agree Ive never had this issue on other icoms in the auto squelch setting, R30, R20, RX7, R6. In any case it is very sensitive and fast.

xms3200

Premium Subscriber
I set mine on Auto or 1 if a certain freq has noise associated with it, seems like 1 is the best setting for mine. Very possible you could have a defective unit. Have you tried the scanner in other places besides your house, just to see if your squelch settings have to be that high.