IC-R20 Duplex operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDR-94

Hi,

How exactly are you supposed to program the Semi-Duplex operation on the R20? I'm still a little confused on how to program it properly.

TDR-94

I'm using the cloning software which is pretty limited itself,but way better than by hand lol!

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I use the Butel Arc-20 software for mine. It does a pretty good job. I don't program frequently enough to recall all of the steps needed. Wouldn't semi- duplex be simplex? Couldn't you just program the input side in channel and the output in another if you want to hear them in simplex? I am not sure if this is what you are trying to do or not.

TDR-94

I'm not clear exactly on how it's supposed to be used or how to program the receiver for it's use.

TDR-94

I was trying to see if it could be used on a railroad radio system were they talk on one frequency then receive on another. I not sure if it can be used that way or if it's intended to be used for repeater input and output situations.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
From what I know of railroad radio they do not always use the same pairs of frequencies so the best option would be to download all of the RR channels and let it scan between conversations. You might ask in the railroad forum for suggestions.

N8IAA

I was trying to see if it could be used on a railroad radio system were they talk on one frequency then receive on another. I not sure if it can be used that way or if it's intended to be used for repeater input and output situations.

You may want to ask this question in the FLA state forum, or the Railroad forum. I know in GA that CSX and NS use dispatch to train and train to dispatch frequencies. It most likely is the same where you live.
HTH,
Larry

TDR-94

Well, that's kinda what I was interested in knowing,is that what a function like this semi-Duplex function would be useful for? You could monitor most any, non-trunked in the clear, two-way radio system by scanning all the frequencies used on it,but in what particular situation would the duplex function on the IC-R20 become useful for?

TDR-94

I tried using the duplex function with 2 railroad frequencies. Dispatch-Train and Train-dispatch and the offset value wasn't available in the R20 so it won't work in that situation.

N8IAA

I tried using the duplex function with 2 railroad frequencies. Dispatch-Train and Train-dispatch and the offset value wasn't available in the R20 so it won't work in that situation.

Since the R20 has dual VFO's, why not program the two frequencies in both VFO's, VFO A has the Dispatch to Train, and VFO B has Train to Dispatch?
Larry

TDR-94

I was just expereimenting to see how the Duplex operation would perform in the R20 using those frequencies.The offset value that would be needed isn't selectable.I normally monitor those channels the way you just desribed.

N8IAA

I was just expereimenting to see how the Duplex operation would perform in the R20 using those frequencies.The offset value that would be needed isn't selectable.I normally monitor those channels the way you just desribed.

What are the two frequencies? I just downloaded a manual from Icom America and it showed that there can be a value between 0.0000 and 159.9999Mhz. This means that you can set the offset between 0.0MHz and 159.9999MHz. Just subtract the lower frequency to get the difference. Then use that difference as the offset. Then the -DUP/+DUP is set with regard to the Disp-2-Train.
Let me know if this is what you've been trying to set in the Duplex mode. Don't own a R20, but have had many ham radios and wideband receivers.
Larry

TDR-94

The offset between the two frequencies is 1.807.50 The closest value you can get with the R20 even when changing the step size is 1.806.25

Status
Not open for further replies.