Ic-r2500, Ic-pcr2500

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Previous Thread: Email Letter To iCOM

I made a thread previously about ICOM putting P25 capabilities in their radios. I wrote iCOM a letter. Here is what the post read:

HotDJDave said:
Recently, I emailed ICOM on this exact question. Listed below is a response from Gerd Jerochim, a Technical Support Rep with ICOM America:

ICOM'S RESPONSE TO MY EMAIL

To: hotdjdave@###.com
Subject: ICOM Technical Support Ticket # 5C7L2A3A9A
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 10:22:53 -0800

THANK YOU FOR YOUR EMAIL.
Icom has disconntinued the PCR1000.
At this time Icom has no plans to make a trunck tracking scanner.....perhaps in the near future.

Gerd Jerochim
Technical Support Representative

ICOM America, Inc.
2380 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004
Ph. (425) 454-7619
Fax (425) 637-8417
www.icomamerica.com

MY EMAIL TO ICOM

EMAIL SUBJECT: Scanners with APCO Project 25
BODY:
Hello,

Radio Shack, Uniden Bearcat, and other scanner manufacturers have made scanners with the capability to receive APCO Project 25 digital communications. In fact, some are producing second generation APCO 25 digital scanners.

Does ICOM plan to join the 21st Century and join the digital scanner community? I have always been a fan of ICOM. I have an IC-R1000 and an IC-R1. However, my next scanner will probably be a Bearcat (UNIDEN BEATCAT BCD-396T 5500 CHANNEL TRUCK TRACKER IV) because it has the digital APCO 25 capabilities, which is widely used where I live in the Southern California region and exclusively by the police here.

Please let me know ICOM's plans for digital scanners with APCO 25 capability or a module to add on to existing ICOM receivers, specifically the IC-R1000. I would prefer to buy ICOM products.

Thank you,

David W.
Loyal Customer

Not too happy about the answer, but he did offer a glimmer of hope ("...perhaps in the near future."). What I would really like to know is when Motorola is coming out with a scanner - - not holding my breath on that one.

Note how the iCOM rep's response indacates "trunk traking" and does not even address my question of APCO P25. I did buy the Uniden BCD396T instead of an iCOM product.

This is the original thread:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26711

Last edited:

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I sincerely doubt you will see a Motorola scanner. The only reason there are amateurs using Motorola radios is because we happen to have our spectrum smack in the middle of commercial spectrum. Motorola does not produce radios for casual listeners, nor for amateurs. They go where the money is, where someone will pay $1500 apiece for a portable radio.
It's also not as if Icom hasn't produced P25 radios. If you really like Icom, then buy an Icom commercial radio with P25. Though I love Icom for my R7100, R10 and R20, for serious stuff I still use Motorola.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Universal Radio has posted some info as a future product.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/widerxvr/2501.html

I got interested in the dual watch since there is a good chance it is a single radio solution with trunker. I got concerned with the specs and I hope this is a typo.

Code:
Main Band Frequency Coverage (MHz):

*      0.010–  252.899 MHz
    *   255.100–  261.899 MHz
    *   266.100–  270.899 MHz
    *   275.100–  377.899 MHz
    *   382.100–  411.899 MHz
    *   415.100–  809.899 MHz
    *   834.100–  859.899 MHz
    *   889.100–  914.899 MHz
    *   960.000–1300.00000 MHz
    * 1300.000–3299.99999 MHz

MilAir and 380/406 MHz government bands are chopped up. The upper part of the 800 MHz trunked radio band and the whole of the 900 MHz trunked radio band are gone! The big gaps make this receiver useless.

I guess the 2500 is really a 1300 to 3299 MHz receiver and the 1500 is really a 0.01 to 1300 MHz receiver. The 1500 is chopped up in the 1300 to 3300 MHz region and is missing the 868 MHz portion of the 800 MHz band that will go to Nextel in the next few years anyway.

I have owned and used some ICOM equipment in the past but have not bought any recently because there was always some stupid limitation in the feature set. I bought a R100 to do TVRO Satellite SCPC and found it useless when I got interested in Trunked Radio because 800 to 900 MHz is locked out. I looked at the new 7000 transceiver and liked the built-in RTTY decoder but lost interest when I found it could not do standard 850 Hertz shift! Lack of 850 Hertz shift makes it useless for RTTY use outside the ham bands.

73 Eric

MarkWestin

Hello,

Remember these are preliminary specifications for the Japan market. From what I understand, the Japan market units traditionally have numerous frequencies blocked, but the "block" is easily removed and usually is by the dealer before the units are sold.

The non Japan market units will probably have continuous coverage except in those countries where they are regulated (like the USA and Cell Phone frequencies and in France where some frequencies are blocked).

Mark

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
When I last left off, there was an issue with these radios receiving P25 in the 800 MHz band. Now that these radios are actually being sold in areas that have P25, can anyone provide any further info regarding this?

Thanks.

amham

Pcr2500

I've read all the posts on RadioReference. I've done my homework on the IC-PCR2500
and have decided to purchase the Canadian version (RadioWorld). The
exhaustive thread on the Jap version problem versus others was quite
helpful. I see where the thread has gone quite. Any more info
I should know? I will be purchasing the P25 board only. Was it
determined to work above 725mhz+? Any other caveats? My last decision
is the R2500 versus the PCR2500. The control head is only $100
more...what dooes the combined intelligence think?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Regarding the remote-control head, last I checked if you don't buy it with your radio, you can't buy just the head later. Icom won't sell it separate. I also heard that if you try to order one to replace a defective one, using someone else's serial number from a unit that came with a head, Icom will demand the return of the defective head.

So if you want a remote-control head, you better order it up front!

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
The APCO-25 issue remains unanswered by anyone with a US Model. I inquired in another thread to no avail. Clearly it did not work in the export model above 760 or so MHz. How silly is that? Extremely.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Icom remote head

GreatLakes said:
Regarding the remote-control head, last I checked if you don't buy it with your radio, you can't buy just the head later. Icom won't sell it separate. I also heard that if you try to order one to replace a defective one, using someone else's serial number from a unit that came with a head, Icom will demand the return of the defective head.

So if you want a remote-control head, you better order it up front!

This is another dumb move on Icoms part. Why limit sales by doing something like that? I wonder if you could order it as a repair part?

I'm still on the fence about getting one now that Uniden is going to have a remote head available that works with the BR330T, BCD396T, BCT15, and BCD996T, that you can buy individually. At least the 396 and 996 models can do trunking or conventional P25 out of the box without another add on cost.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Dave
You are so right about Icoms stupid marketing. That just does not make sense!
I wonder who is in charge of Icom's marketing?

Status
Not open for further replies.