R30 IC-R30 discontinued in October?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcatrp

Guess its time to buy another battery before all the accessories are sold out with this fine radio being discontinued. Unless Icom has something coming out to replace it, makes me wonder why.

bearcatrp

If I buy another battery, do I need to put a charge on it before putting away until my current one dies? Around $120 bucks for a replacement battery, ouch.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Instead of buying another expensive rechargeable battery pack, I'd look at getting the AA battery holder (Icom BP-293, $45-46 at most amateur radio dealers). You can feed your IC-R30 a lot of AA batteries for the difference in price.

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
You can usually fine good quality AA batteries in packs of 24 for around $15, thus about 60 to 65 cents each. Keep in mind, the R30 uses 3 AA batteries in the case and you only get 4 hours of run time with them. If you use the R30 4 hours a day, it will cost you about $2 per day in AA batteries. The lithium battery pack cost around $130, so you are approximately even in 65 days. After that, AA batteries aren't a cheap solution. :)

If you are really a bean counter, you have to factor in the cost of the case at around $45, so the break even point is even sooner like 45 days.

I know, electricity to charge the lithium pack isn't free, but I am guessing it also doesn't use $2 worth of electricity to charge the pack, plus the lithium pack gives you 8 hours of run time, so it is just every other day you have to charge it. In the long run, having the extra pack and charging it ever so often is a much cheaper option.

bearcatrp

Instead of buying another expensive rechargeable battery pack, I'd look at getting the AA battery holder (Icom BP-293, $45-46 at most amateur radio dealers). You can feed your IC-R30 a lot of AA batteries for the difference in price.
I bought that when I bought the radio. You can get around 4 hours on fresh batteries. Maybe 6. But your right about using AA batteries. $120 bucks buys allot of batteries.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's very odd how all the IC-R30's seem to disappear overnight. Did ICOM call them all back off the market for some reason?

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I agree that's very possible. Why the U.S. set themselves to depend on a Communist Country to produce chips that are needed in almost everything that's important if not crucial to our survival is beyond me! :rolleyes:
There is no U.S. company that want to make things here at a lower profit than they can get by making other things or making them overseas. Not government's fault unless you want the U.S. government to take over business.

By the way, the Republic of China (Taiwan) exportss more integrated circuits than the Peoples Republic of China ("Communist China'). And any two of South Korea, Maylasia, or Singapore exports more than the PRC also.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have plenty of small and large USB batteries, but I typically use a 3000 mAh USB battery that's round and 2 x 10 cm. It has a little sack and just hangs off the belt clip. I have a 13000 mAh battery I can use to charge/power the R30 if it is not moving around. I may buy the BP-293 to have when the Li-ion gives up the ghost and just use it empty with a USB external battery, or with some 2400 mAh rechargeable.

* Note: The R30 can be powered via USB even without the battery connected to the radio. It just shows a warning when the battery is removed.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Why the U.S. set themselves to depend on a Communist Country to produce chips that are needed in almost everything that's important if not crucial to our survival is beyond me!
Apparently, it's beyond your ability to research the facts.

In this post, I listed all the "chip" manufacturers who have fabs in the U.S.

cistercian

My birthday is here so my R-30 came today. Holy cow is it fun to use! For kicks I entered my cities P25 channels
into it and the decode is EPIC. It scans like crazy. It seems pretty sensitive everywhere. Out door antenna nukes it...but
I expected that. As a crazy handheld, it fits the bill. My SDR's and Icom 8500 work great with the rooftop antenna. IE
I did not think it would be happy here in rf hell.

Pretty inexpensive too! (compared to my SDS-100) I love having ssb on a tiny radio like this. I am sad they are discontinued.
I am pleased.:D
I bought the AA battery pack for it too. I have several BIG usb power banks so for lights out I am glad it will run off usb.

cistercian

I got mine at gigaparts. a and b band are both fine. Serial 160025xx. I like dx engineering and that
is where I found the aa battery pack. It really is a shame they are discontinued. HRO shows them in stock too.
I also own an Icom R6 and it is a wonderful receiver that runs forever on 2 aa eneloops. But it is a PITA to program
and the lack of a keyboard is horrible. But VHF up is fantastic. 100 channel per second scan, I used it until the city and
state went to P25. I still have the legacy vhf stuff in it and it is hot. I really wanted something easier to search and explore
with and I wanted SSB too. Mission accomplished. Too bad the R30 does not sip batteries like the R6 does!!!

bearcatrp

My birthday is here so my R-30 came today. Holy cow is it fun to use! For kicks I entered my cities P25 channels
into it and the decode is EPIC. It scans like crazy. It seems pretty sensitive everywhere. Out door antenna nukes it...but
I expected that. As a crazy handheld, it fits the bill. My SDR's and Icom 8500 work great with the rooftop antenna. IE
I did not think it would be happy here in rf hell.

Pretty inexpensive too! (compared to my SDS-100) I love having ssb on a tiny radio like this. I am sad they are discontinued.
I am pleased.:D
I bought the AA battery pack for it too. I have several BIG usb power banks so for lights out I am glad it will run off usb.
Turn down the ACG for an outdoor antenna. I love mine. Always take it on camping trips. I input all the frequencies of a agency and listen to both sides of the conversation (P25) almost as good as my SDS200. The R30 is one sweet ht.

cistercian

Turn down the ACG for an outdoor antenna. I love mine. Always take it on camping trips. I input all the frequencies of a agency and listen to both sides of the conversation (P25) almost as good as my SDS200. The R30 is one sweet ht.
It helps some...but I get blocking from some very strong local transmitters. It works fine handheld! Exploring the local P25 systems is amazing since the decode is so perfect. It is fantastic.

ZiggyMacD02

For the life of me I can't get any digital audio. There seems to be a signal there but that's all. I am new to this digital scanning and don't fully understand it. What besides the frequency has to be entered for P25?

bearcatrp

For the life of me I can't get any digital audio. There seems to be a signal there but that's all. I am new to this digital scanning and don't fully understand it. What besides the frequency has to be entered for P25?
Are your systems phase I or II? The R30 will only decode phase I systems.

cistercian

I am using ARC30 software connecting to Radio Reference Database. e.g.:
It says Project 25 Phase I .

Thanks in advance.
I remember when our sheriff dept here went silent...because they turned on encryption.

cistercian

I noticed as I was programming my R30 that my local PD has 3 encrypted channels. Look your system up and make
sure you are not entering control channel frequencies...there is no audio there. Also make certain the groups you want are not
encrypted. I just entered the non control channels in my R30 for strong local towers and it works perfectly on P25. Both systems are phase 1
apco 25 that I listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.