R30 IC-R30 discontinued in October?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cistercian

My local p25 simulcast decode is so good on the R30 it is astounding. It is perfect...so much better than my TRX-2.
I wish I had bought this radio sooner.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I noticed as I was programming my R30 that my local PD has 3 encrypted channels. Look your system up and make
sure you are not entering control channel frequencies...there is no audio there. Also make certain the groups you want are not
encrypted. I just entered the non control channels in my R30 for strong local towers and it works perfectly on P25. Both systems are phase 1
apco 25 that I listen to.
I enter all this frequencies listed in the database per listing of an agency. My R30 picks up P25 awesome and usually hear both sides of the conversation. Its an awesome radio.

ZiggyMacD02

Do you program your radio with ARC30 or CS-R30? Can you share your settings for an P25 Signal?
Also does anyone have any recommendations for a decent screen protector? I purchased two different types from Fruugo.
atFoliX 3x Screen Protector compatible with Icom IC-R30 Screen Protection Film clear, not a perfect fit.
Bruni 2x Screen Protector compatible with Icom IC-R30 Protective Film, have yet to try.
Thanks, in advance.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@ZiggyMacD02 I use the RTSystems WCS-R30 software for $25 using their digital download. For my P25 settings I use P25 in the "Operating Mode" field, but that's RTSystems. I did not install CS-R30. I should note that I use RTSystems software for my radios, so it made it easy for me to copy and paste existing frequencies for/into the R30.

As to a screen protector, I use the Icom LC-189 case for the R30. It is nylon with a plastic screen covering the display, so an additional screen protector was not needed for my use.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
When you enter frequencies, There is a field to enter am,fm,p25,etc. I spent the money on Icom software. Tried ARC and got burned. Now its just copy/paste, then upload.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Dang! The Icom IC-CSR30 software is $80? Oh, and the case for the R30 is leather, or fake leather and not nylon. It does have the plastic bit over the screen.

ZiggyMacD02

The ARC30 was only $14.99, it seems to be loaded with features. Lifetime updates. I wonder what is lacking compared to the IC-CSR30 software.

racingfan360

I just use a .csv file for programing, edit using Excel. It is very simple and very easy to use. Cost = $0. AFAIK, and last time I asked, ARC30 doesn't enable the programming of the [known] scrambler code that I use with one of my own radio channels. The .csv file does. It may lack some other features too (?)

I recommend the LC-189 leather carry case.

racingfan360

ZiggyMacD02

The Descrambler option does not show up in the quick menu on my model IC-R30-20. However the Decryption function shows up in the quick menu. I sent an email to Icom/Japan asking "whats up?".

ZiggyMacD02

My mistake, found the Descrambler option, I was not in the dPMR mode when I was looking for the Descrambler option. So it looks like the IC-R30-20 has both features.

cherubim

My biggest gripe with the R30 is the display - it's just plain awful. For the price one pays for this receiver Icom really skimped on the one part of the receiver that matters most (after the audio). Yaesu got the message with the FT-2DR and its hideous display by releasing the FT-3DR with a full color TFT display Surely Icom could have implemented something similar on the R30.

By comparison, my AOR-8200D has a much nicer backlit LCD which is clear and legible. The R30 display looks like an old passive matrix display from the 1990's.

I like the R30 overall and I think it's a well engineered receiver but Icom really messed up by cutting corners with the display.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
With rumors of the R30 being discontinued, am hoping they remake it with the body, screen and waterfall display of the new Icom 52A. That would make one hell of a handheld receiver.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
When the next version of the R30 comes out, simply buy it and sell the R30. In the mean time at least you'll have fun with it like the rest of us while others are left out. It has really good sensitivity and selectivity and beats the pants off my SDRPlay device on selectivity, although I may not have everything dialed in the the SDRPlay. Still, that speaks to the ease of use of the R30. I also have a Kenwood D74A with a color screen and still reach for the R30 as the selectivity on the D74A is not as good. It isn't bad, but strong MW stations beat it up weaker one's.

I understand your gripe want of a color screen, but the current screen was no surprise. Anyways, I like that continuous waterfall (with audio) on the Icom ID-52A handheld transceiver. That's pretty slick and would probably get me to upgrade from my R30 to whatever new handheld receiver they come out with.

cistercian

My biggest gripe with the R30 is the display - it's just plain awful. For the price one pays for this receiver Icom really skimped on the one part of the receiver that matters most (after the audio). Yaesu got the message with the FT-2DR and its hideous display by releasing the FT-3DR with a full color TFT display Surely Icom could have implemented something similar on the R30.

By comparison, my AOR-8200D has a much nicer backlit LCD which is clear and legible. The R30 display looks like an old passive matrix display from the 1990's.

I like the R30 overall and I think it's a well engineered receiver but Icom really messed up by cutting corners with the display.

I think the display is fine. I also like the display on my Icom 7410 and my Icom 2730A so I like the white background!
The display on my SDS-100 Uniden is much nicer. Too bad it does not receive as well as my R30.

The more I use my R30 the more I love it. I regret buying the uniden now. What an expensive pig.

ZiggyMacD02

I agree with the comments on the screen , I actually prefer the screen on my R20. However the R20 is not as intuitive using the keypad. If I didn't use it weekly I was afraid to push a button. From the suggestions on this forum I have ordered a case and also a battery holder. Does anyone have any experience with the VS-3 Bluetooth Pendant?

palmerjrusa

Sorry to hear Icom has discontinued the IC-R30.

This is a fantastic little handheld wideband receiver, definitely a keeper.

I hope Icom will release a newer version, maybe with a color screen, though the IC-R30's screen is fine by me.

Notice HRO is still listing it as in stock at one of their branches so if you've been considering getting one I'd pounce before only second-hand units are out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.