IC-R7000 off of Eday

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1TUI

Premium Subscriber
Greetings. So, it appears I won the bidding for a IC-R7000 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...20034852518&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Any advice on what I should look at or test out when it arrives? I've seen comments about mods and cap replacements. Should I be concerned about anything? I've never had a receiver like this so I'm not sure how to confirm the reception quality is up to snuff.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Frank

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
One problem I'm aware of with these receivers is off frequency signals in the 800 MHz range. Simply put, 855.2125 showing up on 855.225 or something similiar. If it comes down to it Icom can certainly give it the once over, and my limited experiences with their service department have been positive ones.

They are dated but excellent receivers, very sensitive, selective, and relatively immune to front end overload, not to be used as a "scanner", but instead a communications receiver for searching out new frequencies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The ICOM IC-R7000 was known to have some capacitors go bad as they got older. I can't remember the details, but a Google search of the Usenet newsgroups should turn up something.

Also, the internal AC power supply runs very hot in this radio. At the very least you might want to consider mounting a heat sink on the back plate (you'll know where), and/or maybe a little cooling fan. Don't box it in on your desk, give it some breathing space.

Status
Not open for further replies.