IC-R7100 Receiver Display Lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

K3JTP

Premium Subscriber
One or 2 lamps behind the display burned out, and I wish to replace all 4 with LEDs. The Manuals do not give procedures for accessing the circuits behind the front panel. Does anyone have experience or can help with procedures to access the lamps on this great receiver?

byndhlptom

IC-r7100

There is a recent thread on replacing the lamps in a R8500, should be a similar process

determine lamp voltage, select dropping resistor per LED max current, solder

$.02

K3JTP

Premium Subscriber
The construction of the 8500 is different than the 7100. Access to the lamps is easier on the 8500; I already replaced them with green LEDs on my 8500. My problem is how to access the lamps once I remove the covers on my 7100.The LEDs already have the built-in resistor so I just need to replace the lamps.

dkf435

If I remember correctly you take off top and bottom covers, there may be some screws at the top of the front panel just back from the plastic face that you may have to take out and 2 screws at the back the one section will slide back and may be some cables to disconnect to lay the top section to the side. There may be a few screws to take out to tilt front panel forward. While you are in there do the 2 CR-2032 memory and clock batteries.

Page 33 owners manual

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/manual/pdf/IC-R7100.pdf

David

k1xd

The instructions on page 33 are good. Note the display PCB doesn't need to be removed from the front bezel, as the LEDs can be installed from the back side of the PCB after the old lamps are removed. Observe the correct polarity of the LEDs when installing. Also, with the LEDs, the DIMMER button doesn't work or maybe just slightly works...

I used 3mm Blue LEDs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Volt-3m...5206714?hash=item2cd1032aba:g:xm4AAMXQbjxRCVI~

Dave
k1xd

Last edited:

K3JTP

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for everyone's input. Bulbs have been located on Logic Board and accessible from the back without tilting the front panel. I note that the solder points are very close to each other. Possible that earlier attempts to replace with LEDS may have shorted the contacts. 3mm LEDs may not have in-line resistors, but they may not be necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.