IC-R75 external speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB3RXH

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes when I am receiving a strong signal and have very little noise, it is still hard to understand voices on my R75. I assume it's because of the tiny internal speaker. I have been looking around for a good external speaker. The speaker recommended by the website where I bought the radio is $200. Can anyone here recommend a good external speaker for the R75 that is a little cheaper. Thanks in advance,

Lew

KB3RXH

Premium Subscriber
Oops, I just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum. If someone could move it for me I would appreciate it.

W2NJS

You can use any separate mobile or scanner speaker. Radio Shack sells them for something like $20, complete with the proper (I think) 1/8 inch phone plug. $200 for an external speaker is robbery, plain and simple.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Oops, I just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum. If someone could move it for me I would appreciate it.
Moved. In the future please click
report.gif
to let us know so your request is seen.

ridgescan

You have any "sattelite" speakers or a center channel speaker from a home entertainment group laying around? I have run a Boston Acoustics center channel speaker on the r75. I am currently running the r75 with a Jenson sattelite speaker from a set of Jenson home theater speakers I found someone discarding. The Jenson center channel is running with the SX-88 and produces the great sound from that push-pull amp in the 88 you see in my videos. The other sattelite speaker handles the scanners.
It just so happens that these type speakers are perfect for mainly voice along with some ok fidelity which is what you need for SWL..they may have sucked enough on a home theater system to be tossed but work like a charm for our needs. Some folks even use computer speakers.I personally don't like mobile extension speakers on a shortwave because they do emphasize too much of the background noise of SW that you don't encounter with scanners.

Last edited:

Romak3

Banned
Speaker(s) are a very important part of hearing what can be heard. Why have quality radio and antenna that are capable of bringing it to you if you can't hear whats there? Center speakers of a good build and purpose built externals are the way to go. Cheap is cheap, no two ways about it, unless its free. I gave less than $200 for my used SP-20 with DSP add on.

Heck, buy some used headphones (of decent quality), I have a set of AKG 518's that I still go to on occasion that I used before the SP-20. Headphones will get it done without a doubt. Just don't crank the volume knob on accident!

Draw back to headphones....not wireless in case of bladder duty when you don't want to walk away and might miss something. The SP-20 fills half the house with what I am listen to or waiting for.

I have had thoughts of dismantling the SP and taking measurements. I know a few people who are speaker box builders. Thing is...is it cost effective?

nanZor

Sometimes when I am receiving a strong signal and have very little noise, it is still hard to understand voices on my R75.

Just want to check that it isn't a settings issue. Are you having problems with AM / SSB / FM? Are the voices weak or distorted?

Are you running with the auto-notch on? Is the DSP cranked all the way up? What filters are installed in the radio - and are they set properly as on p.19? Are you using the AGC?

I have to ask just in case you might be using a narrow 1.9khz filter on ssb, and listening to guys with "high fidelity" signals - that kind of thing.

Although the internal speaker isn't the greatest, just wanted to run through these checks first..

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.