R8500 IC-R8500 - Unblocked?

michy

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully not a silly question, but I purchased a new IC-R8500 a while back, and wondered how I can tell if it is an unblocked version. Does anyone know the frequencies that were blocked?

This one was purchased new in Calgary, AB (so it is the Canadian Model). The reason I ask, is I am thinking it may be time to "liquidate it" since I think I may have put a few hours on it and it has been sitting in its box collecting dust. In the description, I wanted to mention the unblocked part if it is indeed unblocked.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I know this is a different radio, but as long as the subject has been brought up, my RSPdx can be tuned to those frequencies. Why so?

ArloG

IC-R8600-04 will be found on the radio and a blatant for gov. use sticker on it.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I know this is a different radio, but as long as the subject has been brought up, my RSPdx can be tuned to those frequencies. Why so?
It's similar to the warning tag on a mattress! :ROFLMAO:

Screen-Shot-2022-05-31-at-10.44.02-AM-e1654008989904.png

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

The FCC treats SDR's differently that a receiver like the Icom.

So, essentially it comes down to the user knowing and following FCC rules.

In reality, there's nothing special here. I have spectrum analyzers and service monitors that will cover all this stuff with no restrictions. I also have a wide open AOR AR-2300 which will tune everything from 40KHz to 3.5GHz.

The old cellular blocking stuff goes back to the days when analog channelized systems were used for cell phones, and anyone with a receiver or scanner could listen in easily. The rules were put in place to force manufacturers to block these ranges.
Since the rules went in place, cellular has moved on. Analog is no longer used. Many more bands are used than the old 824-849MHz 869-894MHz AMPS systems. LTE is encrypted, and it's often 10MHz wide channels that your scanner/receiver/sdr wouldn't be able to do anything with.

In other words, the "cellular blocked" stuff is left over from a long time ago and really doesn't serve any functional purpose.

ArloG

"Scanning Receiver" is the catch phrase and is covered in the FCC rules.
And from what I remember. SDR-Uno has those frequency ranges blocked. Perhaps to keep from getting a 'knock on the door'.
Since scanning receiver receivable frequencies and must-attenuate them to make them un-receivable is outlined. Stand alone SDR radios such as any black box like the RSPdx, RTL dongles with no controls on them which rely on a computer interface and software did not and weren't really in existence at the time the regulation was written.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
You are right. Long out of production but a very nice radio. May be his "a while back" was "a long while back".
Not that long - mine was manufactured September 2015 and was one of the last, according to Icom.

palmerjrusa

Some new unopened IC-R8500s units appeared on ebay a few months back and I snapped one up.

Beautiful looking piece of gear, the last of the superhets before everything started to go SDR.

michy

Premium Subscriber
Not that long - mine was manufactured September 2015 and was one of the last, according to Icom.
Agree... my IC-R8500 serial is seven digits (3202549) , and was purchased from GPS Central in Calgary in I think 2017. After purchasing it, I confirmed the warranty with Icom in Delta BC.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
Agree... my IC-R8500 serial is seven digits (3202549) , and was purchased from GPS Central in Calgary in I think 2017. After purchasing it, I confirmed the warranty with Icom in Delta BC.
Interesting - my serial is 3203742 and purchased new March 2017, so like yours it had sat around for a while somewhere, presumably Icom JA or Icom AU.

Interesting - my serial is 3203742 and purchased new March 2017, so like yours it had sat around for a while somewhere, presumably Icom JA or Icom AU.

Very interesting, my IC-R 8500 is from 2015 or 2016 (i'm not sure) an has the S/N 3301040 (ICOM Europe).