R8500 IC-R8500 - Unblocked?

Interesting - my serial is 3203742 and purchased new March 2017, so like yours it had sat around for a while somewhere, presumably Icom JA or Icom AU.
I’ve had this happen to me with a Kenwood HF transceiver. I think Australia being such a small market compared to EU or the US, a lot of ham equipment sit around in Australian comm’s warehouses waiting to be sold. and there maybe a couple of years in lag time when you get your supposed recent manufactured product. I complained with Kenwood AU and they replaced it with a more recent? model. My theory is when you place a order with a dealer and the item has to be shipped from I, K or Y (Dick Smith’s back then) then they’ll pick a lower serial number to rid of older manufactured units. If there has been a call back issue with a new in the box but 2-3 year old item, the technician’s at the factory’s update or repair the issues before it is transported to the dealer.

Last edited:

wd9ewk

Hi.

Since the advisory about a license is written in English and French, I think that relates to a Canadian requirement for licensing of digital scanners. This has been around since the mid-1990s, around the time the US Congress passed the law requiring scanners/receivers to omit coverage of the 800 MHz mobile phone bands. I don't think the Canadian licensing has ever been implemented. I found a reference to that in another part of the RR forums at:

Sticky: Digital Scanner License

Kenwood amateur transceivers sold in recent years that support packet/APRS operations have a similar advisory notice, directing the "user in Canada" to contact Industry Canada. This is how that advisory appears on my TH-D72A:

TH-D72A_label.jpg

My TH-D74A, which has D-Star digital audio as well as packet/APRS capabilities, has a similar label. My TM-D710GA has a bilingual label with the advisory:

TM-D710GA_labels.jpg

I suppose my Canadian amateur certificate would serve as the "licence" for these transceivers, if anyone ever asked me while I was in Canada.

Do my eyes deceive me. But on the RHS of the label and go down half way, it mentions, ‘’A radio licence must be obtained prior to possession and use of this scanning receiver.’’ Maybe back in the day you needed a scanning receiver license?

<snip>

Last edited:
Hi.

Since the advisory about a license is written in English and French, I think that relates to a Canadian requirement for licensing of digital scanners. This has been around since the mid-1990s, around the time the US Congress passed the law requiring scanners/receivers to omit coverage of the 800 MHz mobile phone bands. I don't think the Canadian licensing has ever been implemented. I found a reference to that in another part of the RR forums at:

Sticky: Digital Scanner License

Kenwood amateur transceivers sold in recent years that support packet/APRS operations have a similar advisory notice, directing the "user in Canada" to contact Industry Canada. This is how that advisory appears on my TH-D72A:

View attachment 142491

My TH-D74A, which has D-Star digital audio as well as packet/APRS capabilities, has a similar label. My TM-D710GA has a bilingual label with the advisory:

View attachment 142492

I suppose my Canadian amateur certificate would serve as the "licence" for these transceivers, if anyone ever asked me while I was in Canada.
How interesting and it’s the first time I have known of this. FYI, back in around 1980 Australians had to have a license for 27MHz CB. But if I recall that only lasted a few years.
Thanks

Last edited:

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Do my eyes deceive me. But on the RHS of the label and go down half way, it mentions, ‘’A radio licence must be obtained prior to possession and use of this scanning receiver.’’ Maybe back in the day you needed a scanning receiver license?

View attachment 142462
The French description is wrong, it suggest that the 8600 can also transmit