IC-R9000 front and rear brackets?

IK2GNP

Hello, maybe my question is a little bit stupid but I would like to be sure about this detail.
What is the real purpose of the front/rear brackets in the IC-R9000 receiver?
I believe that the front brackets are for a possible rack mount, but they are so large and hard that perhaps they can be used to take up the receiver, is this correct?
And what about the rear brackets? Once I saw an R9000 positioned vertically on the floor, kept up just by those brackets. But is this the real purpose?
Considering the big weight, is it reliable to move the receiver positioning my hands one on a front bracket and the other on a back one?
Could you please clarify this points? Thanks.

LesWurk

Hello, maybe my question is a little bit stupid but I would like to be sure about this detail.
I believe that the front brackets are for a possible rack mount, but they are so large and hard that perhaps they can be used to take up the receiver, is this correct?
And what about the rear brackets? Once I saw an R9000 positioned vertically on the floor, kept up just by those brackets. But is this the real purpose?
Considering the big weight, is it reliable to move the receiver positioning my hands one on a front bracket and the other on a back one?
presume your referring to the rack handles? Never seen a rear mount but have the front mount ones for my R9000
this link mentions ones for the rear but no picture available

MDScanFan

The front brackets are used to rack mounting and as a hand hold for moving the receiver. I always assumed the rear brackets allow it to be placed vertical on a surface without damaging the rear panel connectors. The front hand holds are fine for moving it. Not sure about the rear brackets.

IK2GNP

The front brackets are used to rack mounting and as a hand hold for moving the receiver. I always assumed the rear brackets allow it to be placed vertical on a surface without damaging the rear panel connectors. The front hand holds are fine for moving it. Not sure about the rear brackets.
Yes, as I mentioned, I saw the same: a receiver placed vertical on the floor.
So I think that, if those brackets (or handles, sorry for my poor english....) are able to hold vertically such 20kg weight, maybe they can be used to take the receiver with my hands too. Not sure however.
The problem is that this receiver is fantastic but so so heavy, and moving it positioning my hands under the case is not so easy for me (well, I'm not a giant you know.... HI...).
Any additional advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
I think I understand what you are asking...
Yes, the front handles are made for mounting in a standard 19-inch rack.
They are VERY strong and can take the full weight of the radio.
You can carry the radio with the 2 handles, they are do make moving the radio much, much easier.

UE20ls.jpg

The rear support bracket is not as strong.
It is made to support the weight of the radio, but it is really there to protect the rear connectors/cables so you can operate the radio vertically:

full.jpg

RFI-EMI-GUY

Primarily for protection of the rear connectors and heatsink when handling by the front handles. I would add that if you are going to rack mount the unit, either do so with a full tray underneath supported four corners by forward and rearward rack verticals or use those rear brackets and some sort of clamps to support at rear. While the front handles are quite sturdy, I don't think the chassis and the hardware used is up to seismic or rough handling.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
One thing I did not see mentioned (except by you) in the other posts (besides liking such brackets to protect the radio), is that in the case of my R9500, it is actually considered a 2-man lift (44 lbs) and such brackets/*handles* are needed in this cases to really adequately properly lift the radio. That radio weighs roughly the same amount. Weight and protection of the radio in this case are at least as important as rack mounting.

IK2GNP

Thank you to all for your useful replies.
Yes I suspected that the rear brackets are not so strong like the front handles.
I must not mount the radio in a rack, just placed over my desktop.
My question was only to understand what is the best way to move it when needed, considering its weight (yes 44lbs like the R9500, I said 20kg but it is the same).
Finally the 2-men option seems the best.
Thank you again.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Thank you to all for your useful replies.
Yes I suspected that the rear brackets are not so strong like the front handles.
I must not mount the radio in a rack, just placed over my desktop.
My question was only to understand what is the best way to move it when needed, considering its weight (yes 44lbs like the R9500, I said 20kg but it is the same).
Finally the 2-men option seems the best.
Thank you again.

My R9500, same weight, came marked as two man lift. Of course, I lift it myself. (Being a mathematician who was employed as a scientist, I knew 20 kg was the same weight but said 44 lbs for those who do not know which may be most people.)

majoco

Stirrer
When rack mounted along with other equipment, the rear bars are handy to secure all the wiring in a cableform to take the weight off the connectors.