IC-R9000 Loose Dial

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_rachel

Has anyone run into a problem with a loose dial. Mine will rotate without a click for half a turn and then start clicking as it should. The frequency step and auto clicks are configured correctly and I have tried to adjust the clutch with a screwdriver but can't get it better. I had another R9000 which I sold a long time ago that didn't have this slippage in the tuning so it can't be designed in and must be a fix. What should I do?

I bought a cable to connect my R9000 remote to my computer. It is supposed to have a built in level converter which I have to take on faith because I can't plug the thing into my computer. The cable has a DB9 female and so does my computers rs232! Is this supposed to be this way? Why doesn't the cable have a male plug?

Thanks folks!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I bought a cable to connect my R9000 remote to my computer. It is supposed to have a built in level converter which I have to take on faith because I can't plug the thing into my computer. The cable has a DB9 female and so does my computers rs232! Is this supposed to be this way? Why doesn't the cable have a male plug?

Thanks folks!

It sounds like you're trying to plug the RS232 serial cable into a monitor/video port on your computer. The DB9 RS232 serial port industry standard is male, so your cable being a DB9 female is correct.

If your computer does not have a serial port, and you have an open PCI slot, you can buy a serial port card on Ebay very cheap.

Last edited:

dr_rachel

Thanks that clears it up but I have laptops so can I get a CAT cable that goes from a miniplug to USB that will work with the R9000?

Also is there any way to tighten up the tuning dial?

Thanks!

ted

[

You must use external level convertor such as the ct-17
Ted

byndhlptom

R9000 dial

If the 9000 dial is like my 8500, it is a digital encoder that is mounted on the front panel sub chassis. You should check that the mounting nut is tight. If it is loose, there will be some rotational "play" in the knob

hope this helps

you may want to get a copy of the service manual. Icom's are usually pretty complete ones, worth the cost.....

dr_rachel

Loose main dial R9000

I checked the service manual and it tells me how to remove the main dial. A rubber sleeve around a standard set screw knob. It does not have much else -- no optical encoder or other means of adjustment. I am leary about opening this up as it is so expensive a receiver. Is there an Icom technician out there that can advise me on exactly what is behind the dial? It says in the manual that there is a clutch mechanism but that only reduces the slip to a half turn either way. Should I send the unit in for repair? Is there an Icom repair tech located in Honolulu? I know there used to be. Can someone help me with this?
Thank you gentlemen,
Rachel.

byndhlptom

Loose dial knob

What you describe is the same set-up on my 8500. The shaft that the knob is mounted on is the encoder shaft. The "clutch" just adds drag to the knob so it is harder to "bump" it off frequency.

On my 8500, you have to remove the front panel assembly, then remove the front bezel to get at the encoder mounting hardware. With the service manual available, just take your time, use the correct sized screwdrivers and have at it. A table top, covered with a clean, light covered towel (to keep those little screws from disappearing), and you'll be done in less than an hour. It is NOT rocket science.....

If you have a digital camera, take pictures as you disassemble if that will help you.

If you still don't trust yourself, maybe someone local will be willing to help. Sorry, Honolulu is a little out of my driving range :<) (as the outside temp rises to 14 degrees (the windchill is ONLY -5)).

tom

dr_rachel

What you describe is the same set-up on my 8500. The shaft that the knob is mounted on is the encoder shaft. The "clutch" just adds drag to the knob so it is harder to "bump" it off frequency.

On my 8500, you have to remove the front panel assembly, then remove the front bezel to get at the encoder mounting hardware. With the service manual available, just take your time, use the correct sized screwdrivers and have at it. A table top, covered with a clean, light covered towel (to keep those little screws from disappearing), and you'll be done in less than an hour. It is NOT rocket science.....

If you have a digital camera, take pictures as you disassemble if that will help you.

If you still don't trust yourself, maybe someone local will be willing to help. Sorry, Honolulu is a little out of my driving range :<) (as the outside temp rises to 14 degrees (the windchill is ONLY -5)).

tom
Thank you for your prompt reply. But that is bad news. I was afraid I would have to muck about on the inside of this puppy. I really can't do what you say because it is too expensive and I am a clutz with a lot of little screws jumping around a clean white table cloth. Oh, god, and I have to take pictures too! That is really bad. The chances of me succeeding are somewhat like your wind chill in Kansas! Maybe I will take the knob off and look but have you seen how complicated this thing is in the manual! No wonder they charged so much for it. Reminds me of the watkins johnson receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.