IC-R9500: New receiver from ICOM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I'd say a replacement for the 8500 and 9000, except the 8500 is now available to government agencies again.
It will also take the UT-122 P25 Digital unit.

mancow

Database Admin
Yea, I can already see where the rest of my money will be going someday.

Check out the sensitivity specs (.5 uV) all the way to 3000Mhz! They finally did it right.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Yea, and let's see if they actually come out with a non-government "blocked" (to who knows where) version.

So who is going to get the first one from Japan to see if it will work with the UT-122 P25 card?!?

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
I just noticed that it says cellular bands are blocked in the USA version so it looks like they are planning on releasing it, unlike the stupid marketing surrounding the AOR AR ONE.

commscanaus

New Icom Receiver

I am going to get one if I have to get a 2nd job and sell all of my gear!

That has to be the coolest looking receiver I have seen outside of a Rhode & Shwarz catalogue! DROOL!!
I wonder what the final price tag will be? Any guesses out there?
Finally my faithful IC-R7000 can take a well earned break. Well maybe!

Commscanaus

morfis

mancow said:
..... unlike the stupid marketing surrounding the AOR AR ONE.

Maybe not so stupid...I wonder how many cell-blocked units they'd be able to sell.

More a case of a stupid piece of US legislation that enforces a the fairly pointless 'cell block'?

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
I think the price is going to depend on who they are really marketing this to.
If they are going after the Federal or Military market I could see a 10K or more list price.
The Icom 7800 currently has a list price of $13466 so Icom is definaly not scared of a 10k+ list price.
In any case it looks like a nice piece of gear, hopefully it will also be offered in black...
Thanks for the update on this unit, and keep the news coming!
I just checked an the specs are almost the same as the R9000, except for the increased frequency coverage.
R9000 specs:
Frequency Range ....... 0.1-1999.8 MHz
Sensitivity ........... .16 µV 1.6-30 MHz
.32 µV 30-999 MHz
.63 µV 1000-1239 MHz
.32 µV 1240-1300 MHz
.63 µV 1300-1600 MHz
1.0 µV 1600-1998 MHz

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
mancow said:
I just noticed that it says cellular bands are blocked in the USA version so it looks like they are planning on releasing it, unlike the stupid marketing surrounding the AOR AR ONE.

This all depends on how wide the blockage is. Icom does not have a good track record for blocking just the cell phone band.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
when Icom blocks out some of the 800mhz band for cell phones, they also somehow block out some of the 800 mhz trunking part too, and yes this puppy is going for more then 10K so you better get ready to get a second mortgage on the house if you want one. Better not hope it does what the other expensive Icom radios have been doing lately. 1 to 2 weeks after you get it home, you have to send it back to Washington state to get it repaired.

R Collins

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
kg4icg said:
when Icom blocks out some of the 800mhz band for cell phones, they also somehow block out some of the 800 mhz trunking part too, and yes this puppy is going for more then 10K so you better get ready to get a second mortgage on the house if you want one. Better not hope it does what the other expensive Icom radios have been doing lately. 1 to 2 weeks after you get it home, you have to send it back to Washington state to get it repaired.

R Collins

What model is having issues that needs to be sent back for repair?

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
ic746 pro, ic756pro3, ic7800, problems are related to rf and some are related to static electricity. Icom lately has been getting flaky components, and the components in the 9500 will be the same as in the 7800.with the exception of the roofing filters. the 7800 only has 3. The 9500 is the replacement for the ic 9000, not the 8500 so you know it's going to be a pretty penny.

Last edited:
I have to say if I'm dropping that kind of money on a receiver it had better not only come in that color scheme. Yeah I know they're trying to go for the commercial gear look but I'm the guy who is writing the check (and yeah I probably will be) so offer it in classic black or the commercial look.

Props for putting the thing in a rack mount so I don't have to run one down or make one. That is GREATLY appreciated. Now if they could only make it squeak in at around 3500 or at least under 5 grand.

skywarrior

Premium Subscriber
I think that there is no way that this new receiver will be under $9K, the R-9000 when it was first released was going for $4900 way back then. In today's prices I think it will be in line of $9 to $10K. I doubt they will sell many to radio enthusiats. When I bought my 1st '9000 back in the eighties it was a real bite to shell out the nearly $5,000, I can't imagine in my case anyway justifying a $10 grand outlay today - even though I would love to own this new rig, it does look like it has all the bells and whistles

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

This looks like an interesting receiver but I may wait 6 months after release. I do not want to get burnt like I did with the R2500. Icom always seems to put strange limitations in their products. I hope this receiver does P25 on 800 MHz out of the box unlike the PCR2500.

The interesting bits not mentioned in the text are the lan connection and USB host port. There is an optical audio S/PDIF port as well. Maybe they are for future options.

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.