IC-R9500 really discontinued???

IK2GNP

Looking for a new desktop, wideband Icom receiver, I'm thinking to the IC-R9500 or IC-R9000.
Obviously they are both discontinued from many years.... or not?
The IC-R9000 is surely discontinued, but what about the IC-R9500?
Someone told me that the IC-R9500 is totally discontinued in Europe, but in the USA it would be discontinued only for conusmer market, not for government organizations or similar.
In other hands, knowing the right way it would be possible to purchase a new and boxed IC-R9500 in 2024.
Not sure if it is true. Anyone has additional informations?
Thanks and 73.

RFI-EMI-GUY

A quick check of US dealers will show out of stock. I really don't think many were made or sold in the US. Have you checked the dealers in Italy?

IK2GNP

Yes, the italian distributor told me that the IC-R9500 is discontinued from years and there is no way to purchase one.
Just contacted Icom in Japan, but they forwarded my request to the same italian distributor, and obviously their reply was identical to the previous one.
But one dealer in another european country told me that they can provide a new boxed IC-R9500 with a written declaration that it is not a radio for Europe..... very very strange.
How can they grab one if it is discontinued or if it is not for Europe? Where could be the stock to which they have access? Japan, USA, Canada..... I don't know.
It seems a "grey" situation I'm afraid. What do you think?

RFI-EMI-GUY

Not sure what I would do except wait for one to arrive in your home country. The possible concerns are 1) Frequency blocking. Some regions require blocking of certain frequencies and you need to be certain that the model you receive is what you want and will pass through customs. 2) Some countries place an terrible tax on electronics crossing the border. 3) Once you solve 1 and 2, the veracity of the seller comes into play. A lot of money at stake.

IK2GNP

Yes #RFI-EMI-GUY, you are right. Purchasing outside of my country is very risky.​

Also, I do not buy from private users, although one user offered me his R9500 in the 9000 group as you noted.
The unique chance to purchase from a private owner would be to meet him/her in person and check if the receiver is really ok. If not, no way.
But I was courious to understand how an european dealer could purchase a new and boxed receiver once it is discontinued only declaring to the manufacturer that the receiver is not for Europe..... I repeat, very strange and "grey".

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
The last reliable report that I have seen in the R9500 GroupsIO group was from 7/12/2022:
---
Talk to a lady at Icom on the phone last week and she said there is three R-9500's have en route to USA from Japan . But she did not know how they were being shipped boat or air. HRO is getting one and DX Engineering from the order I placed on 6/21 and the third was going to somewhere else.
---
This might have been one of the last shipments to the USA.

Then N9EWO reported here that:
---
Officially Discontinued in Mid 2023

From information via Scott at Icom America, the IC-R9500 was officially discontinued (USA) in mid 2023. The last remaining samples (Cell blocked and non Cell blocked versions) from the lone 2007 production runs finally sold out. It had already been discontinued in other countries a few years before.
----

I can only see on retailer on the Internet that indicates they have any in stock (and these are usually wrong and not updated correctly)

Good luck with your search!

IK2GNP

Well, my search is over.
I found an R9000 in almost mint conditions, it seems like new. Really.
Yes it is not an R9500, but it remains a fantastic receiver either. Believe me.
Very happy with my purchase from a private user having this radio unused in its box from years and wanted selling to me.