Ic-rx7 gripe

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIE39

Does anyone here have any knowledge about working an RX7 through a desktop PC?

The highly complex instruction book is a bit vague here and draws emphasis on 'cloning', but I wondering if the scanner can be operated through software on a PC so that one can enter frequencies and modify the memories easier. I feel it would be a heck of a lot faster especially setting up memory banks that doing it on the scanner itself which I find very fiddly and time consuming.

I have reset mine twice and started again but can't seem to get it right with the group scan and the links etc. I have decided just to use it on programed searches using auto memory write and when its full after 199 channels I start again. I know this may sound a bit daft, but I just can't believe that ICOM have made a scanner so complex that it takes me so long to set up frequencies into categories. Why they couldn't have made a channel/bank listing like every other scanner I've owned I don't know.

Finally why o why have they put a mono earphone at the SIDE and not on top! Grrrrrrr.

nanZor

I'm with you on that. As much as I appreciate the 3-dimensional organization, I really think that manufacturers should allow for a "classic" memory option - perhaps done with special keys to just revert back to the simpler bank/channel setup.

I believe that the CS-RX7 is the sotware to do what you need. Make sure that it includes either the USB cable, or you might even need a special rs-232-usb adapter if you are using rs-232 serial ports. It won't run the radio remotely, but will program the channels.

Since the third-dimension of a "category" is mandatory, to keep it simple how about creating just one category titled "scanner".

Underneath that, then just program your groups (banks), and names (channels). When you need more organization, you can create more categories, but for now perhaps just a single category titled "scanner' will do.

Don't feel bad - I always feel on top of Icom programming if I do it every day. Do something else for a few weeks and I'm scratching my head again. :)

questnz

Totally agreed, I was "didling" with RX7 trying different approach and got very frustrated. Also have some reservations about my latest scanner purchase. Since invested in CS-RX7 software I am flying! Software comes with USB programing cable no need to buy separate cable. Now I got scanner search fully programmed with whole NZ spectrum and scan banks with frequencies in my area, mainly Emergencies, Air etc. Now I am really enjoying RX7 experience, very easy to operate and less complicated than my Uniden 396T. However I missed "Close Call" when using RX7. Until Butel release alternative IC-RX7 software there is no other option but use Icom software. You won't be disappointed. Give Lee call @ Andrewscom in Sydney. Hope this help.

STEVIE39

Thanks to hertzian and questnz (Chris).

I will do as suggested using the KISS principle!

I may contact andrews comms who I purchased my RX7 from.....thanks Chris

questnz

Good on ya, not sure what you are listening to, but when you at it ask Lee for better antenna for your Icom
he may suggest something. One of the all round antennas I am using is Diamond SRH-789 95MHz-1100MHz telescopic scan antenna, 20cm-80cm (or something similar) Looks like they have it in stock.

STEVIE39

Thanks for the tip about Andrews Comms. I bought my RX-7 from him last Sept. I will send him an email about the software and cable.

I listen mainly to the aviation band as I am in a good location to pick up air movements in and out of Brisbane for domestic and international movements as well as RAAF on occasions from Amberley RAAF base and Oakey Army Helicopter base as well. I particularly like to monitor air company frequencies as they can become interesting. As far as antennas go, I have an SMA/BNC adapter and a telescopic whip for the RX7 which gives a noticeably better signal on vhf.

I have a cable connection to my TV wall socket for greater range. The roof TV antenna works surprisingly well.

I also have all the local UHFemergency service frequencies.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.