IC-RX7 replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgleason

Premium Subscriber
Most of the resellers are now showing the IC-RX7 as discontinued. Does anyone know if ICOM is going to come out with a replacement with the same interface?

I owned one for less than 12 months. It was acceptable in performance, but the programming was an exercise in frustration as it did have a conventional frequency base. I think many others may have felt the same.

I personally tried this on my RX7 (which I no longer own). The SMA/BNC connector was the problem. Performance was only marginally better than the supplied whip. I haven't any knowledge of ICOM replacing it.

If your looking for a better ICOM receiver, I can only recommend the R20. I have owned all the ICOM range and its my considered opinion that the R20 is the best. I use mine predominantly as base station and it handles outdoor antennas such as discone or verticals with no overloads except perhaps my local Fire Station which is less than a mile from me. I have rigged it with a temporary long wire as well for SW monitoring. One of the R20's benefits is the excellent recorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.