IC-V8000 Microphone sticking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick_in_MT

Has anyone else had this issue? The stock mic on my V8000 occasionally sticks in the transmit position and I have to click the PTT many times or just unplug it to get it to release.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

W2NJS

Take the microphone apart and fix/file down the pivot on the PTT switch part that sticks out of the unit. If that's not the exact problem then whatever the sticking problem is will become apparent. While you're at it, enlarge the microphone port on the front of the radio and remove the black cloth cover
located on the front of the microphone. That'll improve the transmit audio and this is a known fix for all HM133 mics.

Rick_in_MT

Thanks for the quick reply. I opened the mic and checked the pivot and it moves freely. While the mic was apart I keyed up just pressing the micro switch with the PTT lever removed and it stuck on xmit every time. Do you think it might be defective/ waranty issue?

I've tried it with two other Icom mics-- an HM-100N and an HM152. It desn't stick with either of them. Only the HM133.

Thanks.
Rick

Rick_in_MT

I think I've found the problem. I did SO MUCH reading on this everywhere I could find on the 'net and most of what I saw was concerning failure to xmit instead of sticking ON xmit. But the most helpful solution I found concerned the power cables and the antenna cable. My radio is set up as a base, sitting on top of a 25A power supply, and the stock power cables are still wrapped up in the original factory twisty with just a few inches of red and black wires routed to the power terminals on the supply. This bundle of wires is laying right next to the antenna cable. The article I found was about a mobile installation but it opened my eyes to the real issue-- When I pressed the PTT I think the antenna cable induced a voltage on the coiled-up power cables which affected the digital commands to the board to keep transmitting: in effect it never knew I had let off the PTT. I've moved the power cables/wrapping away from the antenna lead and the problem has disappeared.

Hope I'm right. And I hope this helps someone else. :)

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Since this is amateur radio equipment I'm moving it out of ICOM in Commercial and Professional radio and in to AmEquipment.

N4KVE

I think I've found the problem. I did SO MUCH reading on this everywhere I could find on the 'net and most of what I saw was concerning failure to xmit instead of sticking ON xmit. But the most helpful solution I found concerned the power cables and the antenna cable. My radio is set up as a base, sitting on top of a 25A power supply, and the stock power cables are still wrapped up in the original factory twisty with just a few inches of red and black wires routed to the power terminals on the supply. This bundle of wires is laying right next to the antenna cable. The article I found was about a mobile installation but it opened my eyes to the real issue-- When I pressed the PTT I think the antenna cable induced a voltage on the coiled-up power cables which affected the digital commands to the board to keep transmitting: in effect it never knew I had let off the PTT. I've moved the power cables/wrapping away from the antenna lead and the problem has disappeared.

I had a similar situation several years back with an Icom 2720. I needed a temporary indoor setup, & used a mobile antenna near the radio. I didn't have the power cables coiled up, but because the antenna was within 10 feet of the radio, the transmit wouldn't let go. It happened with 2 radios. I moved the antenna a few more feet away, & the problem vanished. I am again using a similar temporary indoor setup, & the antenna is even closer to the radio, but this time it's a Kenwood TK840, & it's unaffected by the antenna. GARY N4KVE

Rick_in_MT

I think I've found the problem. I did SO MUCH reading on this everywhere I could
find on the 'net and most of what I saw was concerning failure to xmit instead
of sticking ON xmit. But the most helpful solution I found concerned the power
cables and the antenna cable. My radio is set up as a base, sitting on top of a
25A power supply, and the stock power cables are still wrapped up in the
original factory twisty with just a few inches of red and black wires routed to
the power terminals on the supply. This bundle of wires is laying right next to
the antenna cable. The article I found was about a mobile installation but it
opened my eyes to the real issue-- When I pressed the PTT I think the antenna
cable induced a voltage on the coiled-up power cables which affected the digital
commands to the board to keep transmitting: in effect it never knew I had let
off the PTT. I've moved the power cables/wrapping away from the antenna lead and
the problem has disappeared.

W2NJS

Some years ago, when I picked up my 2nd or 3rd 208, I did a quick bench setup using a quarter wave antenna mounted on the radio with a right-angle PL259. I hit the PTT and all hell broke loose. The display went nuts, and the radio lost power, as nearly as I can recall. I immediately realized that 50 watts being radiated right next to the radio was not such a good idea.

And Rick, you might still wish to consider doing the microphone mods I suggested. The 133 is famous for producing thin-sounding audio due to the too-small mic hole and piece of black cloth that Icom puts over the mic element behind that hole.

Glad you found the problem.

Regards from DC.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Icom 208H

Some years ago, when I picked up my 2nd or 3rd 208, I did a quick bench setup using a quarter wave antenna mounted on the radio with a right-angle PL259. I hit the PTT and all hell broke loose. The display went nuts, and the radio lost power, as nearly as I can recall. I immediately realized that 50 watts being radiated right next to the radio was not such a good idea.

And Rick, you might still wish to consider doing the microphone mods I suggested. The 133 is famous for producing thin-sounding audio due to the too-small mic hole and piece of black cloth that Icom puts over the mic element behind that hole.

Glad you found the problem.

Regards from DC.

I took my 133 apart to check and the only thing I found was that the rubber mat of keys was misaligned with the condenser mic and the hole. I just drilled through both (with the mic apart and the Circuit Board removed) So far everyone says my audio has improved on my 208's

There was no black cloth just a hole in the casing and a rubber keypad. albeit misaligned with the hole.

Rick_in_MT

And since we're talking about mics..... (I forget if I already posted this on here...) but I tried using a HM100N on my V8000 but the audio was really low. Someone suggested drilling a bigger hole to speak through and I drilled two, but it had no effect. Anyone here have any other suggestions? I just prefer a mic without all the programming buttons that I keep hitting accidentally.... :)

Thanks.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I had this problem with my 2720.. Discussed it here on QRZ: 2720 VHF Won't unkey

My problem was a loose SO-239 allowing stray RF into the rig.. Tightened the connector and my problem went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.