ICC opening tomorrow at 6am

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It will be interesting to see who will be patrolling it, since it's both in Montgomery and PG counties...Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
What about the SHA trucks (saw one sitting near the entrance this morning)? Will they be using the usual 47 mhz freqs (I would assume so) or something else? And MSP is another question - which barracks will cover the ICC (assuming they're going to patrol that route as well)? From the PG side, College Park is physically closer, I think, than Forestville, but making sense doesn't always seem to play into such decisions...

Mike

gesucks

What about the SHA trucks (saw one sitting near the entrance this morning)? Will they be using the usual 47 mhz freqs (I would assume so) or something else? And MSP is another question - which barracks will cover the ICC (assuming they're going to patrol that route as well)? From the PG side, College Park is physically closer, I think, than Forestville, but making sense doesn't always seem to play into such decisions...

Mike

Niether MSP or SHA handles the ICC, Just as neither handle other toll roads in Maryland.

MdTA Police will handel the entire roadway. MdTA highway trucks will cover the entire roadway.

If the truck you saw the morning was on I-95 it was most likely a SHA truck. If it was ON the ICC it was most likely a MdTA truck. They look the exact same execpt for the patch and tags.

MdListener

Yep, it will be MdTA patrolling the ICC alright. MSP does cover I-95 from the city line to the Deleware line (a toll road), however; and although they certainly have legal jurisdiction on the ICC, they will not be routinely patrolling it.

ResQguy

Meh
MSP does cover I-95 from the city line to the Deleware line (a toll road),

The JFK barrack only really exists because of an MOU with MdTA who normally would patrol there. That different funding stream is what resulted in those cruisers having unique equipment (different lightbars & pushbumpers, etc) than the rest of the fleet for the longest time. I assume that someday a politician is going to consider cuts to MSP and this would probably be the first choice if MdTA continues to exist.

From the MSP website:
JFK Memorial Highway, Barrack “M”
• The Maryland State Police is under contractual obligations with the Maryland Transportation Authority (MdTA), and is solely responsible for providing law enforcement services on Interstate 95 from the Baltimore City line north to the Maryland/Delaware line. This 50-mile (approximate) section of Interstate 95 traverses Maryland’s Baltimore, Harford and, Cecil Counties and is the Barrack's sole responsibility.

md_p97

I drove the ICC on Sunday Morning. I started at Shady Grove and went to Laurel.

First thing I passed was a tow truck sitting on the right hand shoulder at a designated pull off up around Ga Ave. It was white or silver and had a circle shaped logo on the door...couldn't read it though.

Around the mid point, new Hampshire Ave, there was an MdTA cruiser parked in the median and facing the west bound traffic.

On my return trip from Laurel, I passed a Mont Co Police cruiser on the right hand shoulder with one vehicle pulled over. Somewhere in the area of Rt 29 I believe.

I passed the MdTA cruiser still sitting in the median (appeared to be using Lasar), but shortly after I passed him, about another mile or so, there was a Black Ford Excursion (unmarked but with MSP tags) with one pulled over on the west bound side as well.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Be VERY careful with MdTA police....when the time period rolls around where they do "targeted enforcement", they get a little.....creative....with the charges...and I can speak from experience....I was one of the lucky ones that day, the judge was dispensing PBJ all around that day so no one got nailed with an ungodly fine...and apparently they don't have to go to court anymore.......? Just be careful, I've heard worse...

W2NJS

I have a local friend who uses the ICC now regularly as it saves him a ton of time commuting. He told me that the road is infested with MdTA enforcement and traps. I guess it's not enough that they charge a ton of $$$ to use the road; they also feel it necessary to tack on as much borderline enforcement crap as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.