• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ICC500 Storm Shelters

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any experience with communication systems for storm shelters and how ICC 500 relates? It seems that using telephone or cellular lines is disallowed and the preference is radio communications to contact emergency services. The recommendation is a ham radio, weather radio or commercial radio to make that contact. While amateur radio use in emergencies is ok for non-licensed persons I don't think anyone wants a 2-way voice communication system utilizing an amateur radio autopatch. The customer I'm working for has a Cap+ system so maybe utilize an autopatch from that. I'm also pretty sure the fire department doesn't want a PS radio communicating on the system. Looking for anyone that has experience on these or a better interpretation?

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
It's not a Code document and unenforceable as a stand-alone document unless a local jurisdiction has adopted it. That said, it states that "alternate means of communications is stored has to be selected", it doesn't forbit the use of landline or cellular in the document I have read. It also states using a NOAA radio as an alternate means of two-way communication is acceptable. Pretty obvious that the people who wrote it have no experience in two-way radio.

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
It's not a Code document and unenforceable as a stand-alone document unless a local jurisdiction has adopted it. That said, it states that "alternate means of communications is stored has to be selected", it doesn't forbit the use of landline or cellular in the document I have read. It also states using a NOAA radio as an alternate means of two-way communication is acceptable. Pretty obvious that the people who wrote it have no experience in two-way radio.
I did end up talking to the fire marshal and chief building official. This is correct. It's just a bunch of recommendations unless adopted by International Building Code or state/local building code.

Thank you for the response.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
For an oil refining customer who has explosion proof (resistant) people shelters, we placed little SLR1000 repeaters at 1w in them on Linked Capacity Plus with buried fiber back to the rest of the customer LCP system. Extended into the shelter only a couple of talk groups to keep from busying up the system. Worked well. TT