ICOM 1500 vs 2500

Status
Not open for further replies.

brusso99

I am looking for a wideband unit.... i want one that is computer controlled because i really like software control of the radio.. im building a radio system into a pelican case with laptop and all that..

I got a uniden 996xt for digital trunked systems but this radio is totaly worthless for scanning in the way a reciever would be, they are great for trunking not so great for general signal hunting and monitoring.

I want to go with the 2500 but is it a waste.. its about the price of two of the pcr 1500 versions with no screen heads.

i also like win radio and rfspace-iq but i think the icom maybe the way to go..

my other thoughts are to go with a good radio that can be computer controlled, but will i get the same level of controll as the icoms.

is there any real reason to buy the 2500 over the 1500 for this role? or spend the extra cash on the rfspace as well.

thanks
Brett

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I went with the 2500 and control head a couple of years ago. The P25 module works well and has clear decode, but the PCR will not trunk scan without TrunkPCR third party software. It will display NAC or Radio ID's however, but not at the same time. Your XT will alreay do that and better as well as output to UniTrunker, so the 1500 should do fine what you need it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.