• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom 2200h interface cable pinouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trprc

Hi Guys,

I am an electronic tech and have been the owner of a satellite manufacturing and satellite dealer/installer/tech company for many years.

It was to many people's amazement that I was was not involved in HAM Radios, that was due to the fact that I was and still is huge in RC.

I decided to get into Amateur radio now and recently purchased an almost brand new 2200h from a fellow who used it only as a scanner and never got his HAM license.

Since I am a techie, I like building stuff still and wanted to know if anyone has the schematics or pinouts for the interface USB and or RS 232 serial cables for the 2200h.

Thanks so much.

Trprc

There is a pinout diagram at the back of the instruction manual for all Icom transceivers.

I looked up the online manual and saw a diagram, not sure if its the same but all it had was the stereo jack information not the USB or serial i/o information.

Thanks for the reply.

W2NJS

If the radio has a DIN jack then it has the pinout for the jack in the manual. Failing that you can contact Icom directly. Their customer service is top notch.

Trprc

If the radio has a DIN jack then it has the pinout for the jack in the manual. Failing that you can contact Icom directly. Their customer service is top notch.

From what I was seeing online it all seems like the clone and data cables were stereo to either USB or Serial, will confirm if its a DIN.

I don't have the radio as yet but it was a newer generation version, so have to confirm.

Great to hear that Icom has great customer service.

Thanks.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Clone and data are as you said. The 6 pin DIN is for data (packet/digital).

I love my 2200h. Wouldn't trade it for another like it.

Trprc

Clone and data are as you said. The 6 pin DIN is for data (packet/digital).

I love my 2200h. Wouldn't trade it for another like it.

Oh OK, had not looked into it as yet but thanks for the clarification. As I am reading more and more about this gem, I am liking it more too.

I am checking to see if there are things like firmware updates etc. I would like to get the software for a dealer and maybe for the fun of it make my own clone and data cables.

I see some people commenting on heat retention since there is no fan in the 2200h but 3/4 of the radio seems to be a heat sink.

Thanks for your reply.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Heat can be a problem in these rigs. But since mine never operates at high power it's not an issue. It served 2 years straight as a WIDE digi on APRS with a dedicated fan the same dimensions as the radio..
It's sitting on my desk now as a voice only rig running mid power. I do like the option of the high power though.. Should have had it in my semi when I was a truck driver...

Trprc

Based on what everyone said regarding the cooling, I think I will get a surface mounted cooling fan to extract air through the heat sink fins. I will be using the 65 watts on it sometimes :) I will also be taking it to the Caribbean sometimes, pretty hot there.

Did you purchase the software for programming etc for your 2200h? everyone complains how its a pain in the nuts to do it manually. I love programming but being a repetitive a pain to program, I am getting me software to load it up.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I have the USB cable and software.. It's well worth the money. Icoms programming is a pain in the backside.. And I own the 2200h, 2820, and a T7.. I have software for all of those, and several more.

Trprc

LOL OK I will go that route for sure, you made sure of that with that reply :D Wow quite the collection you have, nice.

Thanks so much for the replies, I might bug you for more info when needs be.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.