Icom 2500 Impressions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Did you get the R2500 or the PCR2500? Either way you'll be happy. I'm not sure if you read the other thread, but the UT-122 APCO-25 modules are available direct from Icom America for $248 plus FedEx ground shipping, if you have the need for one.

It has a few quirks, like no 7.5 KHz step from the remote head, and no capacity to enter a user defined step unless you're using the software. Maybe that's something that can be addressed in a firmware update; I understand that the 1500 has already had one. Some third party software will be interesting. Icom's is OK but it's always nice to see what others will produce. Time will tell.

If you ordered from the same gentleman that I did (hiauctions) you will have a very positive experience. He was top notch all the way.

Good luck with it.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I purchased the PCR2500 - I really don't have a use for the remote head.

I'll probably pick up one of the UT-122's soon...

Curious, have you already done a discriminator tap, or is it provided out of the box already?

I'll probably use Ham Radio Deluxe with one, as I already use it with my 8500 and I love how well that piece of software integrates with Icom's offerings.

KC1UA

Database Admin
There are actually two discriminator taps. One for the main receiver, and one for the sub. I use "Packet 1" to drive an Opto DC-440 tone decoder. "Packet 2" is running Eric's Trunker port to Windows. Neat being able to use the radio in dual capacities at the same time. As I'll use it primarily for DX purposes, finding a CC on the main receiver, entering it into the sub so it'll decode the CC with Trunker (or UniTrunker if it's a 9600 baud system), and scrolling merrily along with the main receiver will be a super tool.

Your comment about Ham Radio Deluxe gives me the incentive to go download it and try it out. I've heard a lot of good things about it. I have an R8500 also but it's been completely a "hands on" receiver for me. Now that I have something that will work ideally with software I'll have to give it a whirl.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

If I get one of these R2500 receivers and remain in a good mood, trunker may be able to drive it as a voice radio. I plan to do something similar to Yaesu 5000 support. There likely will be PCR2500Main and PCR2500Sub selections.

It is a big IF. If I get one (I accept donations :) ), if I can figure out the serial protocol, if the protocol has the needed functions, if I am in the mood, and if I have time.

As I have mentioned previously the Yaesu VR5000 control turned out good. I tapped the radio and got it to trunktrack. The radio has problems like an image right on one of the main MSP Zone 5 voice frequencies so I do not use it anymore.

73 Eric

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
The R2500 with the remote head looks like a neat radio, er...receiver. I was all set to blow some $$ on a loaded VHF ASTRO Saber III, but I think this will come in more useful in the long run...esp. with the P25 board.

It's a "top tier" product, but it looks like it's worth it.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
scancapecod said:
There are actually two discriminator taps. One for the main receiver, and one for the sub. I use "Packet 1" to drive an Opto DC-440 tone decoder. "Packet 2" is running Eric's Trunker port to Windows. Neat being able to use the radio in dual capacities at the same time. As I'll use it primarily for DX purposes, finding a CC on the main receiver, entering it into the sub so it'll decode the CC with Trunker (or UniTrunker if it's a 9600 baud system), and scrolling merrily along with the main receiver will be a super tool.

Your comment about Ham Radio Deluxe gives me the incentive to go download it and try it out. I've heard a lot of good things about it. I have an R8500 also but it's been completely a "hands on" receiver for me. Now that I have something that will work ideally with software I'll have to give it a whirl.

How do you feel the receive is compared to your icom r8500.

Better ,worst about the same ?

KC1UA

Database Admin
So far, and this is as unscientific as it gets, I'd say it's on a par with the 8500. Using the same antenna through a Stridsberg Multicoupler, it has heard the same signals as the 8500 is hearing, full quieting when the 8500 hears them that way as well. The signal meters on the 2500 are a bit more "stingy" than the 8500's, but of course that has no bearing on reception. So far so good in comparison, I'd say.

KC1UA

Database Admin
I haven't tried it with TalkPCR yet. I am told that the PCR1500 will work with TrunkPCR, but haven't got around to trying that yet either. I'm falling into the "remote head trap" and finding myself just turning it on with that half the time.

My work schedule has been wacky also, so I haven't had the opportunity to play with it as much as I'd like. Hopefully the P25 board will be arriving soon and I can really start digging into the thing's operation.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Anyone tell icom about the 7.5 KHz step problem? Sounds like an easy software fix. So the UT-122 will work on the P25 standard in the USA, correct?

KC1UA

Database Admin
The 7.5 KHz step can be set with the software; actually any user selectable step can be set. The only place that the 7.5 KHz step doesn't work is with the remote head of the R2500. I would think that a firmware upgrade might resolve this, don't know.

The UT-122 is intended to work for P25, yes. Mine's coming next Tuesday (6/20) according to FedEx tracking.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I got a R2500 today and no P25 connector either. Other than that I like the receiver.

This might be a good receiver for stereo scanner feeds. Both receivers will independently scan and stop. I had an old dual bander that if the main receiver stopped scanning then the sub receiver would stop as well.

I have the radio running with the windows version of trunker. If you set it for a PCR1000 then the main receiver will tune. Setup the sub receiver for the control channel. This may only work on the R2500. I noticed the main frequency display on the control head will not update when trunker changes the frequency. The S meter, squelch, and volume still works.

The control head is a good size to fit in the car so this radio may end up in the car.

It would be nice if you could separate the main receiver and sub receiver audio to different speakers. I can not seem to get usb audio working so I do not know if it is stereo through the computer.

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.