• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom 2730 and sds100 mobile install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy_okole

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone, ive been running an ic2730 in my truck for a while with a dual band nmo mount on the roof. I now also want to add my uniden sds100 to the package so i replaced my antenna with a pricy Laird tri-band.. hoping to run both radios from the one antenna and not drill another hole in my roof.
Whatis the best way to pull this off? Antenna switch? I realize that the 2730 has an internal duplexer, so is the tri-band antenna still going to work here?my swr’s are 1.5 txing in both bands. Would love to rx simultaneously but don’t want to damage the sds100 when I tx from the 2730. most likely a newb question here,but I greatly appreciate the help! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Speedy_okole

Premium Subscriber
Thank you mmckenna. I appreciate your help. To the hole saw I go. Do it once and do it right I guess

Speedy_okole

Premium Subscriber
How far apart do you recommend installing the antennas? I have a crew cab truck and my current antenna is dead center

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Mr. McKenna is correct. Even the most conscientious radio hobbyist seems to *forget*to*switch* the antenna, and zap, goes the two-way radio (or the scanner). You will be happier with a dedicated "all band (VHF/UHF/700/800)" scanner antenna. They are not very tall, and several types are available, through our friends at The Antenna Farm.

My personal choice would be the EM-Wave
EM Wave EM-M43002-1 Scanner Antenna 061822-01.png
...and you have the Larsen
Larsen NMO150-450-758 Scanner Antenna 061822-01.jpg
and then the Laird
Laird Connectivity ABSCANCS Scanner Antenna 061822-01.jpg
They all perform very well and have an NMO mount to attach either a permanent (suggested) or magnetic mount. They're all in the $35-$55 price range. You will not be disappointed using any of them on your SDS100. Check 'em all out at www.theantennafarm.com - a reliable and reasonable vendor.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Will, you left off the PCTEL (Maxrad) BMAXSCAN1000. I had one several years ago and had no issues with it. I've found it listed online for as low as $25.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I had Maxrad and Laird antennas in the past. The two-way radio shop I worked at stopped carrying Laird because each and every plastic base section of the mobile antennas cracked. I owned 8 myself and stopped selling them to my customer base. We went to Em Wave and couldn't be happier. I have several EM Wave antennas on NMO mounts on my car. I used Maxrad 30+ years ago, and never really had any complaints.

CVPI HTHSC.JPG

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
The two-way radio shop I worked at stopped carrying Laird because each and every plastic base section of the mobile antennas cracked.

Not sure if it's all of the antennas without looking, but the Laird I just ordered has a solid metal base. Built like a tank. Same with the Larsen if I'm not mistaken. They're all starting to catch on.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not sure if it's all of the antennas without looking, but the Laird I just ordered has a solid metal base. Built like a tank. Same with the Larsen if I'm not mistaken. They're all starting to catch on.

I've got a ~7 year old Laird 1/2 wave VHF antenna on a Polaris Ranger. It's got a few thousand miles on the antenna, including hitting some tree branches at 40mph, going through drainage pipes where the antenna base spring was bent over at 90º, and I haven't had any issues with it. Not doubting it's a problem, but either I'm lucky, I got a good one, or people are a lot harder on them than I am.

None the less, it's a good idea to periodically inspect the antenna for issues. It shouldn't be something that gets installed and ignored until the radio stops working.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Good luck with the Laird. I replaced EVERY SINGLE Laird antenna (total = 12) in a 3-year period because all of the plastic bases had cracked. Some had one vertical crack, and most had 3-4 vertical cracks in them. I'm totally sold on Em Wave because they are all rubber coated including the springs, plus an excellent spring-loaded center conductor which makes a positive connection with the NMO mount. They all have rubber contact with the car's body; No washers are necessary.

I live 18 miles west of Chicago, so we have 100+ degree temperatures (forecast for this week), and -20/-30 below zero wind chills in the winter. I'm sure the extreme weather doesn't help the integrity of the plastic. Luckily, my car is in the garage when I'm at home, and since I'm retired, I don't go out all that often.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I've got a ~7 year old Laird 1/2 wave VHF antenna on a Polaris Ranger. It's got a few thousand miles on the antenna, including hitting some tree branches at 40mph, going through drainage pipes where the antenna base spring was bent over at 90º, and I haven't had any issues with it. Not doubting it's a problem, but either I'm lucky, I got a good one, or people are a lot harder on them than I am.

None the less, it's a good idea to periodically inspect the antenna for issues. It shouldn't be something that gets installed and ignored until the radio stops working.

Yeah, I have never had problems with any of mine either. Both the new Larsen and new Laird I bought within the last few months now have metal bases. They are both built like tanks.

Good luck with the Laird. I replaced EVERY SINGLE Laird antenna (total = 12) in a 3-year period because all of the plastic bases had cracked. Some had one vertical crack, and most had 3-4 vertical cracks in them. I'm totally sold on Em Wave because they are all rubber coated including the springs, plus an excellent spring-loaded center conductor which makes a positive connection with the NMO mount. They all have rubber contact with the car's body; No washers are necessary.

I live 18 miles west of Chicago, so we have 100+ degree temperatures (forecast for this week), and -20/-30 below zero wind chills in the winter. I'm sure the extreme weather doesn't help the integrity of the plastic. Luckily, my car is in the garage when I'm at home, and since I'm retired, I don't go out all that often.

You must have missed my post above. As I mentioned, my brand new Laird has a solid metal base, so not an issue. I have been using them (and Larsen) here in the Mohave Desert for over 20 years. They see 120+ degree temps regularly and snow in the winter. Never had a single one fail.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Good luck with the Laird. I replaced EVERY SINGLE Laird antenna (total = 12) in a 3-year period because all of the plastic bases had cracked. Some had one vertical crack, and most had 3-4 vertical cracks in them.

I believe you. I keep an eye on mine. So far, no issues.

I'm totally sold on Em Wave because they are all rubber coated including the springs, plus an excellent spring-loaded center conductor which makes a positive connection with the NMO mount. They all have rubber contact with the car's body; No washers are necessary.

I've been a Larsen guy for the last 30 years and never thought I'd change. I've been running a few EMWave for about a year and a half now and I'm totally sold. I'm running a spring base 1/4 wave VHF on my personal truck and I'm really happy with it. I put a non-spring base on my wifes truck, same thing, totally happy with it. Going to try a few of their new multiband antennas at work next.

I'm wary of the "pogo" pin in the center. Motorola used those on their old 800MHz antennas, and I stayed busy replacing a lot of those. Was such a piss-poor design for an antenna. These EMWave seem much better. Larsen has started using them on their multiband antennas, also.

I'm about 2 miles in from the Pacific ocean, same at work. Salt spray tests are a reality. That's usually how I judge things. Have had to physically cut down some base antennas with aluminum bases that corroded so bad it was the only way to get them off the mast.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
I had Maxrad and Laird antennas in the past. The two-way radio shop I worked at stopped carrying Laird because each and every plastic base section of the mobile antennas cracked. I owned 8 myself and stopped selling them to my customer base. We went to Em Wave and couldn't be happier. I have several EM Wave antennas on NMO mounts on my car. I used Maxrad 30+ years ago, and never really had any complaints.

View attachment 123173

Wow I bet nobody passes you on the freeway!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.