Icom 27xx series scanning question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9LQV

On the IC-27xx series dual band radios (2700, 2710, 2720, 2725), can both "sides" be set to scan at the same time? And if so, can one side be set to scan one memory bank, and the other side be set to scan a different one?

I have a situation where I hope to use a single radio to scan two sets of frequencies independently, and have separate/simultaneous receive function with separate audio output. It looks like the 2700s are perfect for this ... as long as I can scan as described above. I've looked at the manuals, and I'm still a little fuzzy on this.

Can someone verify and/or test this capability for me?

Thanks in advance,

Scott KC9LQV

N8IAA

Had a 2720. Yes both sides can scan independently on different bands:) The only problems I found was lack of memory, and no alphatags. Great receiver and transmitter.
Larry

KC9LQV

Thanks for the input, but what I need the radio do do is scan two different *banks*, both in the same band. (VHF)

I'd like to set one side to scan a bank of four or five channels, and the other side to scan four or five channels, with both operating independently and simultaneously.

I'm concerned that the process of bank creation and bank settings will be the same for both sides ie: whatever the setting is for the left side will be used for the right side when both are set to scan. And the manual's not really clear on that, or at least as I understood it.

Or if there's another way to set up what I want to do, let me know. But I'm not going to buy one until I can be sure it will do exactly what I need.

KC9LQV

Oh, and after doing some more reading, I realized that the 2700 and 2710 do not have memory banks, so they're out of contention.

KC9LQV

To answer my own question and submit it to the Great Google for future reference, yes the 2720 can scan two banks independently. I actually purchased one, and got the chance to test it hands-on.

I had one side scanning VHF bank A, and one side scanning VHF bank B, with independent and simultaneous audio, exactly as I'd hoped I'd be able to do.

To echo and agree with the poster above, I did find the ICOM's memory and bank management a little lacking compared to Yaesu's. No alpha tags, no naming memory banks, and no ability to link memory banks for scanning (which is a pretty serious drawback).

However, almost instantly I was able to tell that the 2720 is picking up a lot better than a Yaesu 1802M with the same antenna and feedline.

So, the 2720 has some very strong points, and a couple of weaknesses. I just need to use it a while and decide which carries the most weight.

FWIW, and 73.

Status
Not open for further replies.