• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom 3160 & 3161 priority scan channel/pl question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have used mainly motorola radios. My first question is in the cloning software how do you make the channel the channel selector channel that's selected the priority channel? The pl question is on Motorola radios on a channel not in scan the pl will reverse burst the squelch. I noticed like the old kenwoods it (icom 3161) sometimes pl quiets the squelch sometimes it don't. Is this just common with kenwood and icom radios on a Motorola conventional system? Where it's not 100% as a Motorola would be from other Motorola radios? I am reading the help file and been adjusting the dos and coast but haven't found anything to get a 100 percent pl reverse burst. To mute the squelch tail. I noticed on our other depts. freq which is all kenwoods it seems to do better. I guess I'm just use to M ways? All in all I am liking these icom radios however. Thanks for anyone's input I appreciate it.

SCPD

QRT
I may have got the priority scan to what I want just now but still any user who has input would be good still.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
What you are describing is unfortunately normal. Most manufacturers, including Icom, use a 180° phase shift for around 150 milliseconds. Motorola on the other hand uses a 240° phase shift for around 180 ms. This difference in phase is sometimes enough to cause other brands of radios to miss a reverse burst from a Motorola radio, or vise-verse.

Many of the Motorola models released in the last 10 years have a per-channel option to use a 180° or 240° reverse burst, and recent Vertex radios offer the option radio-wide. Unfortunately, neither Icom or Kenwood offer this option at all. As you noticed, Kenwood radios are better at muting 240° bursts than Icom, and some of their recent radios seem to mute equally well with 180° or 240° bursts.

SCPD

QRT
Appreciate the info. I still think they are decent radios. I was surprised the mdc id and tone muting works lol. Had a old radio in past where the option was a joke. But pretty good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.