• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom 3161DT Programming Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I am trying to program an Icom F3161DT using the Icom CS-F3160/F5060 Rev5.0. I am having troubles reading the radio. Upon trying to read the radio I get an error message. I click the read button, the radio beeps and goes into cloning mode. The computer shows the Cloning screen and the progress bar. After the progress bar shows the radio has been completely read I get an error saying "Please update to the latest version."

I am not aware of any version newer than 5.0. Is it possible I have a RR or PT Radio and therefore need different software? When viewing the "Cloning Information" it does list the radio as having REV3.1.1 RR.

SCPD

QRT
Sounds like rail road version. I'd try the rail road version software or the 3.1.1 software see if it reads writes fine. I believe you need the rail road version software.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
No password protection and the radio is not locked... I will see if I can find a RR version of the software.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I don't need it. I thought I would like it better than the 3161 however I have been proven wrong. With that being said this conversation isn't really pertinent to the original post.

SCPD

QRT
No password protection and the radio is not locked... I will see if I can find a RR version of the software.

You should be able to order the software from Icom or a dealer. That's the easiest way to find the version, or if they don't sell the RR version to end users then your probably out of luck. I would think you should be able to buy it.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I was able to purchase the RR version of the software and it seems to be working perfectly. Thanks!

ras262

I am looking for a second F3161dt RR and am having poor luck in my search. I have found non RR 3161dt's. That said, I do have the cloning software 2.81 with rr firmware 3.11 installed for my current 3161dt( that is a RR unit). I don't suppose i would be lucky enough to use the afore mentioned software on a non rr 3161 and change the radio's firmware over to 3.11 ( RR) would I? I figure it could not hurt to ask. I just do not want to "brick" the radio... :) Thanks in advance..p.s. if anyone has an F3161dt RR that they are selling, please let me know. :)

KK6WHY

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for a second F3161dt RR and am having poor luck in my search. I have found non RR 3161dt's. That said, I do have the cloning software 2.81 with rr firmware 3.11 installed for my current 3161dt( that is a RR unit). I don't suppose i would be lucky enough to use the afore mentioned software on a non rr 3161 and change the radio's firmware over to 3.11 ( RR) would I? I figure it could not hurt to ask. I just do not want to "brick" the radio... :) Thanks in advance..p.s. if anyone has an F3161dt RR that they are selling, please let me know. :)
You will have to flash the firmware to the railroad version, and then write a new codeplug to it with the railroad software. The firmware uploader and software come packaged together. I believe Surplus Two-Way Radios in Santa Ana, CA can sell you them for around $25

ras262

You will have to flash the firmware to the railroad version, and then write a new codeplug to it with the railroad software. The firmware uploader and software come packaged together. I believe Surplus Two-Way Radios in Santa Ana, CA can sell you them for around $25
Thanks KK6why. I have the same question but now am using F3261'a.. I found some for a good price. If I understand you, I need to flash the radio with the rr firmware 4.6.4 (latest and greatest from icom) and THEN access the existing code plug and begin to produce my new one. Could you confirm i have the steps understood as you have indicated? Also, when accessing the radio with the cloning software(4.9 ver do you have any idea as to how to turn off the keypad and LCD light? It appears to be a program issue as the unit stays lit as soon as the radio is turned on. Any input as to how to clear hat would be greatly appreciated.. also can I 'reset" the radio as to how it would be just out of the box? That would be very helpful.. Thank you in advance

KK6WHY

Premium Subscriber
Thanks KK6why. I have the same question but now am using F3261'a.. I found some for a good price. If I understand you, I need to flash the radio with the rr firmware 4.6.4 (latest and greatest from icom) and THEN access the existing code plug and begin to produce my new one. Could you confirm i have the steps understood as you have indicated? Also, when accessing the radio with the cloning software(4.9 ver do you have any idea as to how to turn off the keypad and LCD light? It appears to be a program issue as the unit stays lit as soon as the radio is turned on. Any input as to how to clear hat would be greatly appreciated.. also can I 'reset" the radio as to how it would be just out of the box? That would be very helpful.. Thank you in advance

The latest RR firmware from Icom is 4.6.6 RR. If the radio was an F3161, I'd recommend to stay with 3.1.1 RR, because later firmware will force narrowband. The F3261 is narrowband only though, so the latest version will probably be the best firmware to use.

When you flash the radio with the new RR firmware, it will throw a "Clone NG" error. This is normal, because the old codeplug that's still in the radio is not compatible with the new RR firmware. After you flash the firmware, you'll have to write a new codeplug to the radio from the RR software. The error will then clear.
Back up your old codeplug before you do anything. The old conventional codeplug can't be opened with or used by the RR software. You will have to write a new one in the RR software.

In the software, go to Common > Set Mode > Backlight.
Set it to "OFF" for backlight always off.
Set it to "OFF Auto" for backlight normal off, backlight on for 10s after a key press.

To reset it, just write a blank default codeplug to it.

Last edited:

ras262

The latest RR firmware from Icom is 4.6.6 RR. If the radio was an F3161, I'd recommend to stay with 3.1.1 RR, because later firmware will force narrowband. The F3261 is narrowband only though, so the latest version will probably be the best firmware to use.

When you flash the radio with the new RR firmware, it will throw a "Clone NG" error. This is normal, because the old codeplug that's still in the radio is not compatible with the new RR firmware. After you flash the firmware, you'll have to write a new codeplug to the radio from the RR software. The error will then clear.
Back up your old codeplug before you do anything. The old conventional codeplug can't be opened with or used by the RR software. You will have to write a new one in the RR software.

In the software, go to Common > Set Mode > Backlight.
Set it to "OFF" for backlight always off.
Set it to "OFF Auto" for backlight normal off, backlight on for 10s after a key press.

To reset it, just write a blank default codeplug to it.
Good morning KK6why.. Thank you for your assistance.. The software( confirmed non railroad software for non rr 3261) has indicated i need a bump up in the firmware.. I have that but when I attempt to run the program it indicates it cant access the comport. I have changed the comport to various open options with no success. Does firmware upgrades on a 3260 require a specific comport? The cloning software uses 5 and that was no joy on the firmware update.. Any thoughts?

ras262

Good morning KK6why.. Thank you for your assistance.. The software( confirmed non railroad software for non rr 3261) has indicated i need a bump up in the firmware.. I have that but when I attempt to run the program it indicates it cant access the comport. I have changed the comport to various open options with no success. Does firmware upgrades on a 3260 require a specific comport? The cloning software uses 5 and that was no joy on the firmware update.. Any thoughts?
I should clarify I am using conventional firmware for a conventional 3261.. That said, am i correct that I can flash it to the latest and greatest rr firmware?

KK6WHY

Premium Subscriber
I should clarify I am using conventional firmware for a conventional 3261.. That said, am i correct that I can flash it to the latest and greatest rr firmware?
You can Flash it right to the latest railroad firmware, no problem at all. Just keep in mind about what I stated above regarding the "Clone NG" error when switching firmware types. This error does not indicate that the firmware change was unsuccessful. It only indicates that the new RR firmware does not like the old conventional codeplug.

As for your COM port issue, go into your device manager, and verify which COM port that cable has been assigned, and that it's drivers are working correctly. It uses the same COM port for firmware as it does for codeplug reading and writing. The COM port must be set correctly in the firmware uploader.

If it's reading and writing programming data just fine, but not firmware, check your cable. I don't know for certain, but I have heard that the cable uses a different set of contacts for firmware then it does for programming, and some of the cheap knock-off cables don't always have those connected.

ras262

noted with thanks.. I actually need to program one conventional 3261 without rr firmware however the other one will have rr firmware.. in checking the comport for the cable( icom oem 1862 cable is what I purchased) the comport show a 5 and that has allowed me t program my 3261rr's with no issue.. i will revisit the comport issue and double check. thanks for your continued help.

Status
Not open for further replies.