• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ICOM 6121D

iowajm780

I have an ICOM 6121D that I am have a hard time reading or writing. The radio was sitting in storage for 10 years and I decided to use it. The programming software cannot communicate with it. Back in the day it worked perfectly and I was able to program some stuff in it which still remains. Here is what I have tried. Two aftermarket cables from our favorite site, Mr. Ebay that are the same. Using software CS-F3100D/FS120D which worked fine. Used a Toughbook running Win7 pro 32bit with a true serial port. I don't remember if I used XP on that computer, but it worked. For the heck of it I tried it on a MacBook Pro running Parallels with a legit chipset USB serial adapter. It's not ICOM, but XTS CPS worked great, I just read an XTS2500, but did not do a write for reasons every knows. I have another Toughbook running Windows10 PRO in my car and did not want to bring in. I don't know if it would run the software anyway. I cleaned the mic port, and the pins look ok. I really don't have another PC (laptop) that I could run XP at the present time. It needs some TLC to get it running but it does not have a serial port. I dorked an XTS3000 on that laptop using a USB to serial adapter. I am leaning on a new cable, possibly the genuine ICOM but don't want to drop $90 for one. Sorry to be long winded, but the saying of course it worked yesterday was true. Any thoughts?...

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Have a pair of 6121s and never had any issue running CS-F3100D- on Windows 10 64 bit with el cheapo Amazon cables at that. Unless there is a driver issue it seems unlikely it is your cable. You sure all 8 pins on the RJ-45 are corrosion free? Sure sounds like a hardware vs a software issue.

iowajm780

Have a pair of 6121s and never had any issue running CS-F3100D- on Windows 10 64 bit with el cheapo Amazon cables at that. Unless there is a driver issue it seems unlikely it is your cable. You sure all 8 pins on the RJ-45 are corrosion free? Sure sounds like a hardware vs a software issue.
From what I can tell, all of them and they look clean and it seems they should be making contact with the RJ-45 connector. I agree, it seems like a hardware issue. Radio boots and comes on with what was previously programmed. I will keep testing or find a local radio shop that deals with Icom's. Weird.

iowajm780

Do you happen to have the pin outs for the mic connector?.

iowajm780

Just wanted to let you know for the hell of it I replaced the RJ45 connector on my aftermarket cable and it worked!.