Icom 7000 problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb3j

I just purchased a new truck and decided to install my IC-7000 radio in it. It was previously used in the house...where it sat on a desk & was powered by a Astron power supply & connected to a long wire with an AH-4 Tuner.

In the truck I have a Turbo-Tuner & a Little Tar Heal screwdriver antenna. When tuning the radio I'm getting a "click" type sound on the HF bands...a click with each change of frequency. Regardless of whichever tuning step is selected...whenever the LCD digit on the screen changes, I'm hearing a click.

I'm out of ideas. I've even reset the radio to make sure I didn't change some setting. The install is clean & fed direct to the battery. I've taken the turbo-tuner out of the loop...the click is still there. Driving me crazy.

Anyone with an idea before I ship it back to Icom?

'73
Jim
wb3j, Clayton DE

SCPD

QRT
That configuration is pretty much exactly what I am wanting to go with. I am somewhat distressed to hear of your problems. Be sure to let us know what it ends up being. I don't know that radio well enough to be able to tell you what the problem is. Regards ..

wb3j

I haven't had time to mess with it.....too busy at work. I sent the tuner for service to make sure it was ok.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Have you tried reinstalling it in the house to see if it operates normally there?

I've experienced similar noises on some mobile HF installations that I haven't been able to duplicate on the bench. It can also vary in intensity. I haven't nailed a cause yet, but just wanted to let you know you're not the only one. My mobile rig is a DX-70T(yeah, I know... cheap radio), btw, so it's not unique to the IC-7000.

If it works ok in the house, try reinstalling it in the vehicle, but power it off a regulated AC supply. Also, see if the noise occurs if the radio is connected to a dummy load.

wb3j

I still haven't been able to test it. I sent the Turbo Tuner back for service, it recently had a diode replaced. Once It comes back, I'll have time to check it out.

SCPD

QRT
Is the radio setup in external tune still? I have the 7000 with an AH-4 and a long wire as well. If i unhook the antenna and hook to another resonant antenna i have, it will click when i change bands as well. The radio was set to autotune in settings. So, the click your hearing is the relay inside sending a command for the AH-4 to engage.

Status
Not open for further replies.